Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Researching the women's auxiliary RAF

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 12 Mar 2018 13:08

I'm looking for any information I can find on my deceased paternal grandmother who left when my dad was a baby. I've found her birth and death, marriages, etc but know very little about her. I know she was in the women's auxiliary RAF although I don't know exactly when or how long for and I don't have a personnel number, location or any other details. She was born and living in the north east though during he first half of her life before moving to Norfolk/Suffolk later in life.

Not sure where to start. I believe it may be difficult to get any information without paying a lot of money for a search? What kind of information can they give me for someone in the WRAF? She may have only been there for a few weeks or it could have been years. Does anyone know any ways of finding out a bit more information? Any general tips on searching for information on women in the military would be greatly appreciated as I'm new to this and it seems tricky.

Her details:
Florence Jacques
Maiden name: Marshall
Married name 1: Allen/Allan
Married name 2: Robson
Born 9 Nov 1913 in Tynemouth

Thanks

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Mar 2018 13:46

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1371011

(have added to above, if her!)

Chris :)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Mar 2018 16:26

I've also added to that other thread, giving service number.

You could send for her RAF record - see my post on other thread.

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 12 Mar 2018 22:41

Chris Ho and ArgyllGran. I can't see the added service number or anything from Chris Ho at that thread?!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Mar 2018 23:03

On page 2 of that thread.

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 12 Mar 2018 23:29

Oops. Thanks AgyllGran :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 13 Mar 2018 21:15

She was in the WAAF if she was in during WW2 not WRAF. The first woman were in the WRAF 1918 - 1920 but then they were no longer required so they were disbanded.

During WW2 the Women's Auxiliary Air Force was created 1939 - 1st February 1949 then it became the Women's Royal Air Force until 1994 when the WRAF was merged with the RAF as most trades became open to women. The women are now members of the RAF.

The documents will show her rank and her job and where she was posted, I don't know if they will have info of next of kin.

I am ex WRAF :-D

AKayeLibrarian

AKayeLibrarian Report 14 Mar 2018 16:01

Thank you for this PatinCyprus. I'm considering whether to send off for the records as it costs £30, even though I'm her granddaughter and have the permission of her next of kin (her son). In 2022 it will be 25 years since her death and I think they become free then. I'll probably go ahead an pay the £30, but not this month as I've already ordered several marriage and death certs from GRO.

Thanks for your help in telling me the kind of info in there :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Mar 2018 14:18

I have my late husband's WW2 RAF record, which DOES show his next of kin