Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UK Army registers of Solddiers Effects

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rallyreg

Rallyreg Report 30 Jan 2018 10:04

I see on the registers that first there is the wages stated in black and at a later date there is another entry in red.
Could some one state what the RED entry is for
Thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Jan 2018 17:37

In many cases it was an exgratia payment made to their next of kin several years after WW1 had ended.

If you’d like to give an example, we can have a look to see if that fits.

Rallyreg

Rallyreg Report 30 Jan 2018 23:08

Thanks, that is what I thought, but found that the amount in red did not seerm to relate to the time served.
Found that some that had served for less time seemed to receive more that some that had served for twice as long.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 31 Jan 2018 03:10

that written in black is I believe the pay owed to them and that in red is a war gratuity introduced in1918 for any one that had served 6 months in uk or any amount of time abroad . There are different amounts as part of it was based on actual time served in battle.

Rallyreg

Rallyreg Report 31 Jan 2018 09:56

Thanks Elizabeth