Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF Deaths in Italy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidney

Sidney Report 3 Feb 2014 10:07

Hi, has anyone the means of tracing RAF deaths in North Italy in WW2. I have looked in all the usual places but to no avail.
The name I am looking for is Michael (Micky) Taylor. He was a Flight LT. in a bomber and the plane crashed near a big lake in North Italy. I have pictures of him in uniform but no squadron markings on the uniform. I can't even find out where and when he joined up. He was living in London when he got the call up.
Sid.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Feb 2014 10:14

Don't know if this is him or not but it's the only record for that name on the Commonwealth War Graves site:-

TAYLOR, MICHAEL ARTHUR

Sergeant
Trade:
Pupil Air Gunner
Service No:
Date of Death:
28/08/1945
Regiment/Service:
Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Grave Reference
Div. 24. Grave 11047.
Cemetery
READING CEMETERY
Additional Information:
Son of William and Annie M. Taylor, of Lower Whitley, Reading.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Feb 2014 10:19

This looks like the reference for the death certificate for the above person:-

Name: TAYLOR, Michael A
Unit: 11 Otu
Number: 3045039
Year: 1945
Volume: 14
Page: 45
Record source: GRO War Death R.A.F. All Ranks (1939 to 1948)

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Feb 2014 12:11

His records would still be with the MOD and can be ordered from here for £30 and many months of waiting. There may also be some restrictions applying because of your relationship but, as the death was over 50 years ago and he was unmarried, it ought to be alright.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 5 Feb 2014 16:49

Last year we went to Monte Cassino in Southern Italy and visited the war graves cemetery. We saw some RAF graves, Some with the whole flight crew identified. Hope this is of use.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 6 Feb 2014 12:18

Hello Sidney and welcome to the Community Boards.

I'll let Sidney know that he has replies to his query. :-)

Sidney

Sidney Report 7 Feb 2014 09:29

Thanks to all those that sent in a reply. I did send a reply to the most relevant answer but none of the answers came close to solving my problem.
Thank again.I will keep trying.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Feb 2014 09:40

Probably the way forward is to purchase Michael's records from the MOD. You would need his full date of birth and his full registered name.

Use freebmd to find the birth registration, and order the certificate from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp
As long as you have the year, district, volume and page numbers it will cost £9.25

If the CWGC record is correct referring to a burial in this country, but you are convinced he died in Italy, perhaps his body was repatriated after the war, or although he was severely injured in the Italian plane crash, he was medi-vaced back to the UK?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 Feb 2014 11:58

Sidney, All replies should be posted on your thread using the add reply at the top of the page or by just filling on the add reply box at the bottom of the page and clicking on the submit button below, Edit, No personal details of living people should be posted,

This meens that anyone trying to help will see all the info and improving your chances of getting the info you require

Replying via a PM (personal message) is just that a personal message so other members don't get the benifit of having all relavant info.

For info you will need to apply for his RAF records use this link below, The page covers ARMY, NAVY, RAF and HOME GUARD so is quite long, it includes the forms you need which you can downoad

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

It also covers making a request for information held on the RAF Casualty Files

Roy