Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Walsh born 1897 army record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Aug 2013 09:59

I am trying to find the army record for john walsh of Barking, Essex. He was born in 1897 and all I know is that he served in both world wars and was in the Essex regiment. He was one of only 7 from his regiment that came back from one battle and we believe that battle was in france. We know he was injured 3 times -was shot and also had trench foot. That's about all I know. Anyone who can help would be greatful thanks

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 26 Aug 2013 10:23

Was his service number 33871? If it was then there is his medal index card showing on Ancestry. He was received the British and Victory medals.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be a service record showing for that individual but of course about 70% of WW1 service records were destroyed by fire during WW2.

Potty

Potty Report 26 Aug 2013 12:27

WW2 records are only available to the soldier himself or his direct descendants. This site gives details of how to get them:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Aug 2013 10:34

thanks jonesey and potty for your replies. Unfortunately I am unable to pay the £30 fee for obtaining someones service record but thanks for the info potty. Jonesey I will take a look see what I can find on that service number