Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

David Stokes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 6 Mar 2024 09:07

Hi all,

I am looking for David Stokes, born in 1979, from New Zealand.
Unfortunately I don't have more information about him, but I would like to know who his ancestors are. They are probably from Great Britain (England, or maybe Ireland)

The reason I am looking for David Stokes is that he is the son of my father's second cousin. They are a DNA match on MyHeritage. But David is not active on MyHeritage.
Does anyone know a David Stokes, born in 1979, from New Zealand?

Kind regards,
Barbara van Oijen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2024 09:18

Only if he is on someone’s tree will anyone on here be likely to ‘know’ him. Check there first

You say he’s the son of your father’s second cousin, so you must know who his ancestors are, surely?

Barbara

Barbara Report 6 Mar 2024 10:42

I did check that first, thanks. I found a David Stokes here, but he is not from New Zealand.

I don’t know who my father’s ancestors are, that is why I want to know who are David’s ancestors ;)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2024 10:45

I see, that makes sense now.

Does the 'second cousin' info come solely from DNA 'results'?

What was your father's name?

When and where was he born? If not in the UK, tracing info may prove difficult

Sorry to ask, but did he and your mother marry?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2024 11:39

Try.........................

https://www.bdmonline.dia.govt.nz/

Strict rules regarding recent events

Barbara

Barbara Report 6 Mar 2024 11:48

We are looking for my father’s paternal side. My father’s surnames are not useful, as they refer to his mother and her earlier deceased husband.

DNA matches are all we have, and they confirm that his father was from the UK (we know his father lived in England, so probably he was born there too).

My father is born in The Netherlands in 1949. My grandmother was not married to my unknown grandfather.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Mar 2024 13:25

Do you have your father's birth cert?

If no father was named, then I'm afraid you have no hope of finding out who his father was.

(But I don't know what might be possible from DNA results. It seems a very hit and miss system to me., as it depends on the right people taking DNA tests, and coincidentally uploading them to the same site.)