Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tanner family from Upper Norwood.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 11 Jun 2022 17:03

Hi, I am looking for a Mark Tanner, living in Upper Norwood Thornton Heath 1977. I have been looking for 44 years now with absolutely no luck at all of finding him! Any help with this would be an absolute miracle Mark was age 15 in 1977.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jun 2022 17:17

Hi Dawn - welcome to Genes and the boards.

It sometimes helps if we know what the connection is.

Have you looked for marriages, deaths and electoral roll entries for him. He may even be on social media such as Facebook.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jun 2022 17:55

He may have lived in Thornton Heath but not necessarily born there

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Jun 2022 18:02

Do you know if Mark had a middle name? Do you know if he was born in the area of Thornton Heath or was he just passing through?

I'm assuming that Mark fathered a child? (either you or another person?).

There are a few births in the London area for that name. One in 1962 would be the nearest in age to what you say (although only 15 rather than 16/17.

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Jun 2022 22:38

Assuming he was born in that area, there's one with middle initial R, born in 1961 in Croydon reg district, .

If that person continued living in the Croydon area, he may have married in 1984.
If so, they seem to have lived in Essex until 2008. Then in Wales briefly, with their son, and then Cheshire until at least 2013 - but that address has been sold twice since then.

No recent definite online sighting of any of them.

That Mark born in 1961 may have a sister born 1968 in Lambeth.

BUT of course he may not be the right person in any case. This is all speculation.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Jun 2022 07:07

ArgyllGran,

Found that family on Facebook. There was another sister too.

Message from Dawn says he had a brother so I don't think Mark R is the correct one.

She does remember his address so her best bet would be to look at old electoral rolls to get names.

Rose

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Jun 2022 08:17

Thanks, Rose.

It's helpful to know there was a brother.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Jun 2022 11:55

A final bit of speculation, and then I'll stop.

Perhaps Dawn wouldn't be aware if there were other siblings??

There's a Mark (with no middle name) born in Surrey NE reg district in 1960.
He has two brothers, born in Croydon in 1957 and 1966, and also a sister born in Croydon in 1953 .
Their parents married in Croydon RD in 1953.

Both parents were in Carshalton (approx 4-5 miles from Thornton Heath) at least 1958-62, per ER on Ancestry.
In 1964 they were in Upper Norwood.
They were listed together in Kent at least 2002-2004, and then the father continued to be listed at the same address until 2015, when he died.

The house was sold in 2016.

The mother may possibly have died in Kent in 2007 .

Someone of the father's name (but without middle initial) is listed at an address in Thornton Heath at some unspecified time between 1998-2008 , per ER on GR.
This is a 1-bedroom flat, last sold in 1999, so probably just a coincidence of name.

However, none of that helps to find where that particular Mark is now, even if he does happen to be the right person.

We don't really know enough to search meaningfully.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Jun 2022 15:23

Newspaper article from 2003.
No help, but posting for interest, because of name and location - could be just coincidence.
The company went into liquidation c2011.

https://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/443746.someone-stole-santa/

Dawn

Dawn Report 13 Jun 2022 21:38

Hi Everyone, Thank you so much for all your researching! I am absolutely amazed with all the information here, Yes the Mark Tanner I am looking for was living Dover Road, Upper Norwood, Thornton Heath, in 1977 he was aged 15 then, Sorry I do not have any more information to give, But Thank you so much for all your help.

Kind Regards Dawn.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Jun 2022 22:03

So born c1962. . . . .

OK, there was one with no middle name born in 1961 in Surrey NE, and he had a brother born in 1959.

The parents married in 1955, and were living in Mitcham at least from 2002-2018.
The mother probably died in 2018.

The Mitcham address was sold in 2021.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Jun 2022 22:10

Try here for electoral rolls in 1977:

https://www.croydon.gov.uk/libraries-leisure-and-culture/libraries/find-your-library/thornton-heath-library

They have an enquiry service.

Rose