Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Half Sister

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Haydn

Haydn Report 28 Jan 2022 21:14

I'm trying to find my half-sister, but have become a bit stuck and have no clue where to go now! My Dad has a child a couple of years before me, but he died in 1995 so don't have any contact with my half-sisters family.

I know her name (might be different now), mother's name, year of birth is not exact, and an address i was given isn't actually a full address, but may help narrow the location down but I won't post that here. I've tried searching birth records on different sites, Facebook searches etc, however it appears to be quite a common name! Not sure how much progress I will make here but worth a go and any advice is very much appreciated!

Name: Emma Saunders
Year of birth: 1990 +/-1 year I think
I can post what I was told was her mother's name if that is allowed.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Jan 2022 21:53

No, don’t post the lady’s name - invasion of privacy

Did the mother keep her daughter?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Jan 2022 21:59

Have you looked in search all member trees to see if anyone has your father in a GR tree?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jan 2022 23:40

You can give the name of the town where Emma was born , if you know it - but not the street.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jan 2022 23:49

You mention her mother's name - is that her first name, or surname, or both?

If you know her surname, you should be able to find Emma's birth on the GRO site:
https://www.gro.gov.uk (assuming she was born in England/Wales)

Or on Ancestry or FMP if you have a sub.

Then at least you would know the year of birth - with the proviso that if she was born late in a year, her birth might not have been registered until the beginning of the following year.

EDIT:

Hmmm,. well, maybe not - if her mother's name was also Saunders, there are still several possible births . All those Emmas have middle names.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Jan 2022 09:34

If you know the location you shoud be able to pinpoint the birth on the GRO records

Haydn

Haydn Report 29 Jan 2022 10:03

I have searched in trees with no success. Her mother did have the same surname I was told so I get a lot of search results with that and I am unsure of her middle name. I don't know where she was born - the half address I was given a couple of years ago is a bit sketchy but mentions Curridge in Newbury. I have no idea how old that address is though, but have a feeling it would have been a while ago

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Jan 2022 10:16

How reliable is your source? As you were a very small child when your father died, it can’t have been him

Haydn

Haydn Report 29 Jan 2022 10:23

I'd say pretty reliable as it's another family member related to her, but as they haven't had contact with Emma's family since when I was young it's difficult to know if it's still accurate

Haydn

Haydn Report 30 Jan 2022 14:22

I asked a family member and they said they think she was born in the Watford area and likely 1989-1990.

Is it feasible to get in contact with different registry offices and ask if they have details of any births registered with my Dad's name on too or are they unable to give out this information?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2022 14:57

If your father was recorded on the birth cert the birth will be registered with two surnames. He would have had to be present at the registration, or to have given written permission for his name to be included.

Is he named on your birth cert?

Register offices will obviously be very careful about what info they give out - privacy rules.

EDITED
NO births in Hertfordshire

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2022 15:39

Have you included your father's details in your GR tree?

EDITED

I've just looked and I see that you have included him

All you can do is hope that someone is looking on here and sees the entry and makes contact with you

Haydn

Haydn Report 30 Jan 2022 15:39

Yes he's on my certificate.

I did have another search but found the same as yourself with no births in that area in those years

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2022 16:06

Are you in touch with your father's siblings?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2022 16:21

PM sent - check your message inbox