Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

find my mums half sister

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

fiona

fiona Report 31 May 2020 14:38

Hi all i'm looking for a lady possibly with the name ann simmons( this could be spelt differently) possibly born 1934 because she had a baby girl when she was 23/ 24 , so her daughter was born roughly 1954 ish. Ann was from around the manchester area.Ann at the time was seeing a man called Alick abrey who is my great grandad. Please if anyone knows off any simmons around those times or knew her mum and dad please could you get in touch. This is the only information my mum had and would love to meet her sister.Thankyou

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 May 2020 15:00

So is it the daughter born in 1954. You are looking for

Your info isn’t easy to follow

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 May 2020 16:35

Alick's mother in 1939, for location - not that it helps much, as the extra-marital liaison wasn't until many years later

12 Leinster Street, Manchester C.B., Lancashire, England
Emily Jane Abrey (Graham) 02 Jun 1899 Female Household Duties Daily Work Widowed 123 1
The record for this person is officially closed.
Thomas Whelan 14 Nov 1914 Male Labourer At Brewery Single 123 3

Alick died in 1968, so not sure why his record is redacted - and he was an only child, so it isn't a sibling

Births Mar 1923 (>99%)
Abrey Alick V Pickbourne Salford 8d 144
Marriages Jun 1941 (>99%)
Abrey Alick V Wilcox Manchester 8d 152
Deaths Jun 1968 (>99%)
ABREY ALICK V 45 MIDDLETON 10E 455

fiona

fiona Report 31 May 2020 18:18

yes this is the correct information, my mums dad was alick victor and he had two childten jean who is my mother aged 72 and alick my grandad had another daughter born around 1957/58 to a woman called ann simmons but her father said he couldn't marry ann, so basically my mum has a half sister that she has never met.

fiona

fiona Report 31 May 2020 19:01

hi erikah how do ypu know this information please

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 May 2020 19:09

Welcome to the boards, Fiona.

First you say the daughter was born "roughly 1954ish", and then you say "around 1957-58".

That's pretty vague!
Assuming the birth was in Lancashire (though it may not have been) , and assuming Ann Simmons was unmarried (but she may not have been), between 1950 and 1960 there were three female Simmons/Simmons births registered - 1952 Liverpool; 1952 Haslingden; 1953 Liverpool.
If the name was spelled Simmonds, there was one female Simmonds/Simmonds birth in Lancashire 1950-60 - in Blackpool in 1955.

Bur if Ann was married, then her maiden name wouldn't be Simmons/Simmonds.

Although, as you say "her father said he couldn't marry ann", that sounds as if Ann was unmarried.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 May 2020 19:27

He couldn’t marry Ann because, presumably, he was still married to Frances.
She had a child after 1958

I didn’t ‘know’ the info - I looked it up online

fiona

fiona Report 31 May 2020 19:28

hi i worked the dates out wrong ann was born 1933/34 and a baby girl in 1957/58.Ann good of got married ,we don't know alot of information really.My grandad was called Alick victor Abrey who lived in 15 mitton street, hulme, so that's where we think ann could be from

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 May 2020 20:05

Oh, that’s a shame. You’ve marked as answered, so people will think you don’t need any further help

fiona

fiona Report 31 May 2020 20:12

oh god can i un do it, i thought it was being courtious to mark it as answered

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 May 2020 20:47

The child born in 1959 was registered under another surname so presumably Alick and Frances were separated before then.

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 May 2020 20:48

Unfortunately, it can’t be undone.

The fact that you have added feedback shows you have ‘answered’.

Not to worry, it’s always been a drawback on GR, and the ‘regulars’ are aware.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 May 2020 21:31

If the child was definitely born 1957-8, and definitely born in Lancashire, the only possibility is a Symonds/Symonds child born in 1957 in Barton RD, which covers much of the Greater Manchester area.

You can find the details on FreeBMD:
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

If her surname was spelled in any other way, she wasn't born in Lancashire.

Of course, you would have to buy a copy of the birth cert to be sure if this is the right child or not.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 May 2020 21:42

Do you know if the child was adopted or not?
If so, her name will have been changed, so we won't be able to find her online.

IF she was adopted, IF you buy the Symonds birth cert, and IF she turns out to be the correct child, then your mum should register with the Adoption Contact Register.
If her half sister has also registered, or does so in the future, they may be put in touch with each other.
It's always a long shot, and might not produce any result, but could be worth a try.

Instructions here:
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Jun 2020 08:07

You say that the woman’s father ‘wouldn’t let’ her marry Arvin . If she had been, as you suggest, 23/24, she didn’t need his permission.

fiona

fiona Report 1 Jun 2020 09:45

hi rose yes my grandad and nanna had seperated before he met ann.

fiona

fiona Report 1 Jun 2020 10:36

thanks for all your help, i wouldn't of known where to start.The info is all abit vague because my mum was only 10/11 when her dad alick had met ann, so that's why i don't have alot of information.