Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for my partners Dad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 13 Apr 2020 21:56

Sadly my partners Mum has dementia, and has never told him much about his Dad.
She has told him bit over the years, but not sure how much is true.
He was a Gwelph, 6ft 8 tall and was somewhere in the London area around 1963. My partner will be 56 this week (April 2020)
Mum was Rosemary Lynch, we think as she changed her name many times over the years. She was a trained nurse, working in London hospitals. She also trained as a solicitors legal secretary and had a sister who lived by the coast. Her husband was in the war and was shot in the chest, but survived as they put tar in his lungs!
Mum rode a motorcycle. Not much I know.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 14 Apr 2020 01:53

What's a Gwelph? Is that a surname? Nothing on FreeBMD about that name.

Who was Rosemary's husband and is Lynch her maiden name?

Was

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Apr 2020 08:48

Gwelph seems to be some kind of ethnic music, according to info found by googling

Has your partner got his own birth cert?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Apr 2020 11:22

Welcome to the boards, Julie.

GUELPH is a surname - is that what you mean?

If so, age-wise the only likely looking one was born in 1939 in London.

You can find that person's name (PLEASE NOTE - I have no idea if he's the right person or not) on FreeBMD.
Just enter Guelph as the surname in a "Births" search and click "Find". There aren't many Guelphs - you won't need any other info for the search.
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

That man seems to be on 2015 ER, and possibly also 2017.

He was living with his parents and sibling in the Paddington area in the 1960s.

His parents married in London in 1938, and were living in Stepney in 1939, when his father was a taxi driver.
His mother died in 1996, and his father in 2000.

greyghost

greyghost Report 15 Apr 2020 22:25

If the surname is actually Guelph, then you can find other tree owners with that name on here - go to "Search" top right of this page and the "Search all members trees". Input the surname and see the possible matches.

You can try to contact the tree owners by clicking on "Find out more". Compose message, explaining why you are trying to contact them.

If they have the email addy they registered with GR they will be notified there is a message in the system for them. If they are able to receive the message, it is up to them whether they reply or not, it's not compulsory to do so. Many people are no longer members (trees never deleted by GR) or are no longer interested or able to reply.

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

greyghost

greyghost Report 25 Apr 2020 15:12

New thread started

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1383475?jump=1383475

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Apr 2020 17:22

PM sent to Julie to let her know how to return to threads.

Julie

Julie Report 26 Apr 2020 12:10

It looks like I haven't replied to any of these threads but I have. I am learning how this site works, slowly!
GUELPH is not a surname but a type of person he was, is all my partner's Mum would say.
I have found birth registrations for my partner which shows Mum uses 2 surnames to register him, Barton and Lynch, which seems very strange.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Apr 2020 13:08

As you have now 'marked as answered' people will assume no further help is required

You have only two posts on the boards, so you haven't replied before

And you have deleted the other thread you posted which had a name for the man

The birth registration showing two surnames is simply becasue the parents were not married, but the father's name was recorded

Roy Barton, as you said on your deleted thread

A copy of the cert would tell you his occupation, but nothing else to be of much help,

Is there perhpas a clue in your partner's very unusual forename?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Apr 2020 14:01

A Google search for that forename brings up only one thing - a surname Torricke-Barton.
The results are about one man and his father, of Burmese ancestry.

PLEASE NOTE:
I'm NOT suggesting that this man has anything whatsoever to do with your partner's Dad .

But could Burma feature in your partner's story at all?