Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for birth family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 2 Mar 2020 18:19

Hi everyone I am looking for help to find my birth parents, I was born in 1975 to a Margaret Taylor and Theo (don’t know surname) i was told my mother was 20 and father 34, I was born in bootle maternity hospital in Liverpool, Margaret already had a child before me in 1972, any help would be appreciated xx

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Mar 2020 18:43

Welcome to the boards, Amanda.

Do you have a copy of your birth certificate?
If not, you can order a copy via the GRO site. www.gro.gov.uk.
It's free to use the site, though you have to register, and there's a charge for the cert.

I can see your birth record on FreeBMD:

www.freebmd.org.uk

Enter your name, the year, and the place (Bootle) - yours is the only one which comes up.
Use the page and volume numbers given there, to order the cert on the GRO site.

The cert will give your father's name - IF your mother declared it when your birth was registered. As you're registered under her surname, it's possible that she didn't .

You should also add your name to the Adoption Contact Register, so that if any of your birth relatives have also registered, perhaps wanting to make contact with you, you may be put in touch with each other.

Instructions here:

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Mar 2020 18:55

If your mother's other child was a girl, also born in Bootle (details on FreeBMD as above), it looks as if she may have married in Liverpool in 1997, and is currently living in Bootle, according to the Electoral Roll.

You don't say if you have perhaps already been in contact with her.

Amanda

Amanda Report 3 Mar 2020 13:07

Hi thank you for your help, I am waiting for my birth certificate to come through the post, I have recently applied to go on the contact register just the other day, yes it was a girl she had before me xx

Amanda

Amanda Report 3 Mar 2020 13:10

How do I see my sisters details on the BMD I’m not very good with all this :-(

Flip

Flip Report 3 Mar 2020 13:38

Hi Amanda

You could have accessed your original birth records and adoption file (which should include more details of your father/siblings and their circumstances etc) from here - it's free to use and if counselling is necessary it's no big deal:

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records

You can find your potential sisters name using the freebmd website as previously posted by Argyllgran, use the seach criteria surname Taylor, mmn Taylor, birth year 1972 and registration district Bootle (Lancs not Cumberland). The possible marriage is too late to find on freebmd, but should be available on here, FMP and is available on ancestry. The ER address referred to is available online once you know the surname, or I'm sure if you need it someone will supply by private message (PM).

We have to be careful just what is posted on this open forum regarding living people, so often have to resort to PMs as all posted comments on here are available via a web search - just bear that in mind if requesting more info on your possible sister.

Amanda

Amanda Report 3 Mar 2020 13:51

I have just tried to do that on bmd but couldn’t find anything :-(

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Mar 2020 14:53

On FreeBMD's search page - here -

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

tick "Births";
enter Taylor as surname, and also as mother's surname;
enter date range 1972 to 1972.

In the "Districts" list on the right of the page, select "Bootle Lan".
Click "Find" at the left of the page.

The relevant birth is the only result which shows up.

Amanda

Amanda Report 3 Mar 2020 14:54

Thank you for your help :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Mar 2020 15:05

I've PM'd the marriage and Electoral Roll details to you. (Watch your emails for a message from GR - it might go into your spam box.)

If attempting to make contact, please be tactful.
This may not be the right person - without seeing the actual certs we can't tell.

If she is the right person, she may not know of your existence; she may not know any more about her mother than you do; she may not want contact with you - you have to be prepared for rejection as much as for finding a long-lost sister.

Amanda

Amanda Report 3 Mar 2020 15:35

Aww thank you so much for your help, I will look for your email, and yes I wouldn’t just go straight in, I am prepared for her not to want to see me, I have done a dna test so I may find some matches for my bf

Flip

Flip Report 3 Mar 2020 16:39

Just tread carefully as AG has wisely said.

However, If you've done the ancestry dna test you can upload the results to a few other sites such as myheritage or ftdna which both have other matches others don't always have.

It's just worth thinking about though, spread your search about. I found my bf from testing (initially through Ancestry test uploaded to myheritage) and have it confirmed by relatives!

Amanda

Amanda Report 3 Mar 2020 17:18

Yeah I have done 23 and me so I shall see what results I match with (if any) I just want to know who my birth family are and who I look like

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Mar 2020 18:07

I think your adoption file is probably the most likely place to find any more useful information about your birth parents - although no guarantees.

Flip has posted the link, for instructions how to do that.

Unfortunately there are lots of Margaret Taylors - 17 born in 1954-55 in Lancashire alone - and of course she may not have been born in Lancashire.

Amanda

Amanda Report 3 Mar 2020 20:23

Thanks for the help I think I may of found bm on fb

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Mar 2020 09:25

PM of thanks from Amanda today -

she is now in touch with her half sister. The ER details were the correct ones.

Amanda

Amanda Report 10 Mar 2020 18:40

:-D :-D