Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Janice Chesterman & Linda Ann Ellis (Chesterman)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Dec 2019 18:51

Hi All

My name is Linda Smith and I am trying to track down who I believe to be my cousins Janice Chesterman & Linda Ann Ellis (ms Chesterman). I understand that Linda married Raymond Ellis in the District of Lambeth in 1976.

Janice & Linda's parents were Edna (ms Smith) & Alan Chesterman.

Edna had a sister May who I believe married a Greek gentleman & their mother...my Grandmother was Mary Edis Smith (ms Noble) also known as Eaddie

Any help or sending in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Linda

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 18:53

What have you done yourself to try to find them?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 18:57

Janice Chesterman (1962) does not have a sister named Linda

Check records on freebmd!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 18:59

No marriage on freebmd for the supposed parents

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 19:03

Edna Smith , MMN Noble, was born in Derby in 1927

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Dec 2019 19:04

Hi Erika

Thank you for your response.

I started my search in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow to be honest I did not know that they even existed as we were all led to believe my Father was an only child to find out now that he has/had 2 x sisters (Edna & May Smith). I have since then been searching on Ancestry, Ancestry DNA, Genes Reunited, My Heritage to name but a few.

I carried out a search on this site and made contact with a lady who advised that she was related through marriage to Linda Ellis however she has not been back on the site since October which is a bit frustrating.

Ive checked electoral rolls and made a few phone calls but all hitting brick walls.

Linda :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Dec 2019 19:05

Think you have some wrong names as there’s no marriage for an Alan Chesterman to an Edna Smith

No birth to for Linda chesterman mmn smith

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Dec 2019 19:08

Sooo if you have been looking at Scottish records were Edna and Allan chesterman married in Scotland

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 19:12

You need to use freebmd for best results

Five births shown for Smith/Noble in Derby

None for a May, but there is a Gladys M which could possibly be her

Only trust what you can prove

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Dec 2019 19:24

Received this message through this site whilst searching :

HI Linda
Yes that does ring a bell. Edna Smith married Alan Chesterman and had 2 daughters, Janice and Linda Ann. It is Linda who is on my family tree through marriage. She married Raymond Ellis, who is my uncle-in-law.
Kind regards
Lucy Ellis

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Dec 2019 19:28

Last known address for Edna Chesterman was Grove Gardens, Enfield, Middlesex....I wrote to this address and received a response from the owners and unfortunately Edna had moved on from there in 1996 and they reckoned she had moved to Barnstable, Devon.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Dec 2019 19:58

Allan S Chesterman married Edna Smith in Dennistoun district of Glasgow in 1957.

You can find that via a free search on Scotlands People, and order a copy of the cert through SP.

(Note - Allan spelled with two L's )

Linda Chesterman born in Dennistoun in 1958.

No middle name, and you'd have to buy the cert to verify parents' names, but it seems likely that's the right Linda.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Dec 2019 20:05

Allan S Chesterman was on ER in Benfleet in 2003, with Edna Chesterman and Linda Hart. and a David Bees.
2004 - at a different Benfleet address, with Edna.
2005 - in Watford, with Edna.

Linda Hart and David Bees may be no relation - they were together in Benfleet in 2002, without any Chestermans.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Dec 2019 20:10

No middle name listed for Linda when she married Raymond.

Rose

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Dec 2019 20:20

A Raymond Ellis (born 1954-6) and a Linda Ellis (born 1957-9) were together in 2014 in Bromley, Kent.
Also a Louise Ellis (aged 21-24) and a Thomas Ellis (aged 25-29).

Looking at Ellis/Chesterman births, I see two in Southwark.
Louise Charlotte in 1990, and Thomas Charles in 1987.

The Bromley house has not been sold since 2014, so they may still be there, and may have opted out of the public ER..

Have PM'd address.

EDIT:
Also the address of a Thomas C Ellis in Bromley in 2019.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Dec 2019 21:16

So far, nothing to verify that the Linda who married Ellis is the right person

Without getting the marriage cert, not sure how anyone can be certain it’s the same woman

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Dec 2019 21:18

Thank you so much....I was beginning to think I had wasted an awful lot of time chasing the wrong people.

My Scotand's People account keeps logging me out for some reason - Dennistoun would hit the nail on the head!!