Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Jean Valerie Geater

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Dec 2018 23:39

Jean Valerie is my nan's biological half sister. My nan was adopted and did manage to contact Jean to find out about her mother, unfortunately she had passed away before contact was made.
I believe Jean was born around 1938 in Hertfordshire and moved to Cumbria, where she married Christopher Geater. Her mother died in a road accident, involving a coach and a three-wheeler, which I have been told was in 1968.
Long story short I was wondering if anyone knows anything or is related to Jean in anyway, and could give some insight on her family.

IMPORTANT: my main goal is to find out who Jean's mother was, my mum has the information somewhere but hasn't been able to find it for years. I have always wanted to find out about my nan's family history but have never had the resources, mainly due to her being adopted.

Many Thanks,
Madison :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Dec 2018 03:43

What do you mean by insight into her famiiy?

Are you trying to trace her if so have you tried the electoral rolls

Seems she was a Geater who married a Geater in 1978
Details on freebmd

Not seeing a birth for her as geater so what was her maiden name

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Dec 2018 03:56

They are both on the electoral rolls to 2018 still in cockermouth

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Dec 2018 10:47

I think this may be her birth registered in her mother's maiden name (with the names transposed).:-

First name(s) VALERIE J
Last name HISCOCK
Birth year 1936
Birth quarter 1
Registration month -
Mother's maiden name Hiscock
District Bournemouth
County Dorset
Country England
Volume 2B
Page 960
Record set England & Wales Births 1837-2006

I think her birth was then re-registered in 1955 as Valerie J. Geater. (possibly after her parents married). This could be her parents marriage:-

First name(s) EVELYN G J
Last name HISCOCK
Marriage quarter 1
Marriage year 1938
Registration month -
MarriageFinder ™

EVELYN G J HISCOCK married one of these people

William F Geater

Spouse's last name Geater
District Reading
District number -
County Berkshire
Country England
Volume 2C
Volume as transcribed 2C
Page number 699
Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005

There are two addresses on the electoral rolls. One in Cockermouth and one in Workington.

EDIT - this may not be the one you are looking for as the mother of this person - Evelyn G. J. Geater seems to have died in 1997 and not 1968 as you say.

Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2018 11:26

Unfortunately I do not know her maiden name, which is frustrating.
Thank you for doing some research, however I do not think it is the correct person as I know she married to Christopher Geater.

patchem

patchem Report 30 Dec 2018 11:39

Christopher Geater (1937) is in a tree on here.

Have you tried to contact the tree owner?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2018 11:40

As Shirley says, a Jean V Geater m a Christopher J Geater in Cockermouth, in 1978. May be she was known as Geater or alternatively, they were cousins?

Have you tried to contact Christopher J Geater, to rule him out if nothing else??

patchem

patchem Report 30 Dec 2018 12:16

Christopher J Geater's parents were Andrew Y(1900) and Phyllis W(Gordon, 1905). Under 'Geate' in Ancestry 1939 These are also in trees on here.

Phyllis died in 1996 in Cockermouth, with will.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Dec 2018 13:33

Well as I posted they are both in cockermouth on the electoral rolls to 2018

If you want the address can pm it

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Dec 2018 14:13

Why not get a copy of the marriage cert?

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2018 17:47

IMPORTANT: my main goal is to find out who Jean's mother was (also my nan's mother), my mum has the information somewhere but hasn't been able to find it for years. I have always wanted to find out about my nan's family history but have never had the resources, mainly due to her being adopted.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2018 18:41

What’s to stop you from asking her? Neither she, your mother or yourself are responsible for what occurred to bring about her conception.

Could she have been adopted herself? ‘Jean Valerie’ be a name given at her own adoption? If so, she won’t appear under that on the GRO birth indexes.

As your nans paperwork was lost after her death, you might find the following link of help. Although neither your mum or you can access the file, there are other options

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

You might also consider DNA testing via any of the FH sites. You might get a partial match & be able to work out the common ancestor.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Dec 2018 20:30

Get a copy of the marriage certificate to Christopher for its info

It will give her age and fathers name if known

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2018 22:14

DetEcTive
I am not sure what you are trying to say: ask who? What do you mean we are not responsible?
Jean was definitely not adopted, that is something I know for sure.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Dec 2018 22:17

Do you know what your grandmother’s birth name was?

You’ve been told that Christopher is on the ER. So accept the offer made to send you the address, and think about making contact

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Dec 2018 22:25

Ask Jean. Even if your Nan & she don’t have the same mother, she may have useful information.

We aren’t privy, nor need to know, why they don’t share both parents. The 2 girls had no influence on their past. If Jean was willing to meet with your Nan, she might well welcome contact with you & your Mum. If nothing else, you could explain why contact between the 2 sides of the family stopped.

Unknown

Unknown Report 30 Dec 2018 23:13

they do both have the same mother. When contact was made to Jean it was my mum who actually arranged to meet. Contact was never stopped, but they lost contact after my nan died, and I was born. Mum has tried ringing multiple times but we fear she may have passed away. We are soon going to send a letter to her last known address and see what happens.

patchem

patchem Report 30 Dec 2018 23:55

There is a Jean Geater on facebook who 'likes' Cockermouth - worth checking?

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Dec 2018 00:01

Patchem
Thank you, just showed a picture to my mum and she confirmed it is her.
Many thanks
:-)