Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for a cousin - Valerio/Preston

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katty1

Katty1 Report 6 Feb 2017 14:55

Looking for my cousin who was given away at age around 6 weeks. Her name was Jane Valerio/Preston and born 24 May 1954, Chatham, Middlesex, Greater London.

Her birth parents were George Preston and Patricia Nellie Elizabeth Bartley who are now both passed away.

My cousin Corrina who is her sister has registered with the adoption agency to find her.

malyon

malyon Report 6 Feb 2017 15:09

there is only one jane born in uk not seeing a marriage for her

have sent message with her on electrol list

malyon

malyon Report 6 Feb 2017 15:20

jane is reg in both names Valerio and preston 1954 chatham wonder why

patchem

patchem Report 6 Feb 2017 18:00

malyon,

If Jane was given away at around 6 weeks, she will no longer have the name Jane Valerio.

A Mr Valerio marries a Jane xxxx in 1974. They do not appear to still be together. Is that possibly the ER you have seen?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Feb 2017 18:53

malyon the reason for the double registration is the usual one ... the mother was still married at the time ...

and yes obviously if Jane was adopted her surname would not have been either Preston or Valerio after that (e.g. if she married, or in current records)

Katty, George and Patricia had two other children younger than Jane, does Corinna know of them?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Feb 2017 19:03

It would be a good idea for Corinna to put a tree at this site (with a free membership) and include Jane under her birth surnames (just treat her as two different children), and also the younger siblings if they were adopted as well.

And of course include herself and Jane's deceased parents in the tree (just calling George the second spouse of Patricia).

(Otherwise putting living people in a tree here requires their consent)

Does she know the two people who have herself and her other sibling in their trees here? (with her and his permission?)

... I see Corinna has a tree here with her father and mother in it, but not herself for instance. (The dob for Corinna's mother in her tree is a year out, so she might want to fix that too, in case someone searches with the exact year.)

Katty1

Katty1 Report 6 Feb 2017 21:55

Hi

Janes date of birth is 24 May 1954.

My sister and I have trees on here and both will need updated. Will transfer it over from the other site.

I know the other sibblings. Only Janes was adopted out.

We wondered why the two registrations for Valerio and Preston.

Thanks

Tina

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Feb 2017 23:55

There were two registrations because the parents of Jane were not married at the time of her birth. Her mother, Patricia was married to Mr. Valerio in 1950, so Valerio was her surname and as such the child was registered in her surname at the time. Mr. Preston must have gone to the register office with her and claimed paternity so the child was registered in his name too. The fact that she was illegitimate was the most likely reason for her being adopted out.

Kath. x

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Feb 2017 01:12

As I said in reply to malyon's question about that: mother was still married.

Just for info, this was a matter of law. The child of a married woman had to be registered in her husband's surname. The "presumption of legitimacy" for children born during a marriage was to protect women and children from specious accusations of adultery made by husbands.

susan

susan Report 29 May 2019 16:49

If anyone is still following this thread, I believe I know the whereabouts of Jane Valerio. Please contact me for details.

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 May 2019 17:05

Susan, click on Katty1's name to send her a message, if she has the same email she will be notified and able to reply even if no longer a member.

susan

susan Report 2 Jun 2019 20:10

Thanks, Rambling I did send her a message, got my fingers crossed she's still searching...