Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

lockdown during and post

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Aug 2020 15:12

Did you start a new craft during lockdown? Or pick up the ones you had shelved as not having time to finish? If so do come on and tell us about them. Let's try and rejuvenate this board.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 9 Aug 2020 12:35

You know me Ann - not much good at any arts or crafts, but I enjoy reading about other people’s talents. You are right, this board is fast falling by the wayside which is a shame. I can’t do the crafts but I could post more on the book, garden and wildlife threads so I will make more of an effort, starting today.

You asked if anyone had gone back to a project they had shelved. I’ve done the opposite. I have finally discarded a piece of work I started over 30 years ago. I had done a couple of cross stitch pieces that didn’t turn out too bad so I started another large one and only ever did about a third of it. When we moved 7 years ago it came with us. In 7 years I have taken it out once and added a few stitches so I decided it had to go. I’ve given the lovely frame OH bought me to work on to a local craft group as I know I will never be doing cross stitch again.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Aug 2020 09:35

Vera, you can still enjoy the crafts of others so stick with the thread! I gave up cross stitch as I found it too hard on my eyes. I have three pieces framed (smallish ones) but could never competed with our daughter who was great at it and so was her late husband. I gave my unfinished pieces to a charity shop. I know somebody will have been unable to resist finishing them.

Yes it is a shame that the kindle thread has dwindled. mersey used to keep it going well. I try and get on there occasionally.

Maybe people don't bother about crafts so much these days. I know they are talked of on the chat board threads so maybe in time this board will be finished with. :-( :-( :-(

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 21 Sep 2020 23:19

I have done paper cutting, patchwork and pyrography :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Oct 2020 18:18

Both daughter and grandson’s wife have done pyrography and made some nice little gifts with what they made LG

I have never done paper cutting but have seen pictures of it I suppose it is similar to the die cutting I do with my machine but more clever. What do you do with the finished article?

I love to see patchwork, especially the old American designs but I think if I started I would have half a quilt for ever. Do you make quilts or smaller projects?

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 20 Dec 2020 21:39

Hi...l've been doing mosaics,..made some for a neighbour to sell in charity shops for animals. Have made quite a few drawstring bags and used for christmas pressie wrapping, something to use after as well. Just bought granddaughter a sizzix sidekick machine, quite abit smaller than the usual machines, sorted loads of card, paper, tissue and felt, bought some die cutting bits and pieces...gawd hope she likes it,she used to do loads of crafts with me but what with covid we don't see much of her..:( ....have to make sure the bits l buy fit the machine!! Made some felt tree decs and some mosaics xmas tree's on round pieces of wood, drilled hole and added string or rope......

jude

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2020 06:07

If she still enjoys craft work she will enjoy using the Sssix machine Jude. What size paper does that one take? A5/A4? She will get a lot of use out of it when she builds up a die collection (I assume it uses dies to cut?

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 23 Dec 2020 22:49

More like an A6 size l would think...its quite small, but also handy for anyone to take with them to friends etc... :)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Dec 2020 22:11

I have got a small one like that different make though. I don’t use it much as I have a larger automatic one a Gemini.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 3 Feb 2021 11:32

I am totally useless at crafting, I have no artistic ability at all. I am very good at practical things though, I can wire a mean plug for example - not that I ever need to do that anymore.
I have taken a renewed interest in the family tree, not that that counts in the same way .

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Feb 2021 19:30

If it interests you and keeps your brain active it serves the same purpose as crafting Linda