Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greaders for vote Mar/April 16 RESULT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Mar 2016 09:15

Two books as usual please.

Review will be 14th April. Has to be early because of holiday.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Mar 2016 09:16

What Doesn't Kill Her by Carla Norton
The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton
Leaving Time by Jodi Piccoult
The taming of the queen by Philippa Gregory
The Stone Cutter. by Camilla Lackberg.
Middlemarch by George Eliot
A Humble Companion by Laurie Graham
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Her Sisters Gift - Isabel Jackson
The Girl With No Name - Diney Costeloe

Mersey

Mersey Report 12 Mar 2016 11:18

Leaving Time - Jodi Piccoult

A Humble Companion - Laurie Graham

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 12 Mar 2016 12:11

Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lipton.

The Taming of the Queen. By Philippa Gregory.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Mar 2016 12:25

Her sister's gift
The Girl with no name

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 12 Mar 2016 12:26

The Taming of the Queen

and

The Stone Cutter

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Mar 2016 14:07

Well, what different tastes we all have Lol!! A very varied voted this time as the results below show.

What Doesn't Kill Her by Carla Norton
The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton 1
Leaving Time by Jodi Piccoult 1
The taming of the queen by Philippa Gregory 11
The Stone Cutter. by Camilla Lackberg. 1
Middlemarch by George Eliot
A Humble Companion by Laurie Graham 1
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Her Sisters Gift - Isabel Jackson 1
The Girl With No Name - Diney Costeloe 1

Please read the taming of the Queen (I don't know if it is the same in all Waterstones but I bought it in there half price a couple of days ago. I think it is about £3.99 on Amazon for Kindle

After the winner, please read any of those that gained one vote that you fancy. :-) :-) :-) :-)

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 12 Mar 2016 17:14

Thanks Ann.
It certainly gives us lots of choice!
I shall probably send for the 'real' book of Taming of the Queen through Amazon, though it does mean I shall be forced to choose another couple of books to take the cost over £10 so I can get free postage. What a shame :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Mar 2016 20:26

:-D :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Mar 2016 09:00

I forgot to change the heading but I hope everyone has seen this as only Pammy has commented.

Persephone

Persephone Report 16 Mar 2016 20:47

As you know GlossieAnn I am not a fan of Philippa Gregory, having given up on Red Queen and White Queen but really tried with The Lady of The Rivers and read it right through, I will give her a miss and I am sure she won't mind or notice.

I have read my two so that's a start and loved Rosamund Lupton's book.

I liked the Throwaway Children so may read the Diney Costeloe one or Jody Piccoult's as most of the time I like hers.

Have not enrolled at the library here yet but once I do will get on to it.

Thanks everyone..

Perse

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Mar 2016 22:14

Ok Perse, from what I read on facebook you don't have much reading time. The Jodi Piccoult I have read and liked. I really enjoyed learning a lot about elephants but it was a good story (I thought) as well. <3

OK, a bit of confusion in my brain when I wrote this. The elephants were in the Susan Lewis book, no elephants in leaving time but the latter was still a good story.

Persephone

Persephone Report 17 Mar 2016 04:03

LOL

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 18 Mar 2016 22:13

Sorry that I didn't comment earlier.
I shall be going yo the Library tomorrow and will try to get The Taming of the Queen.
If unavailable will try to get one of the others that received a vote.

Have already got The Stone Cutter, so will be reading that.

Persephone

Persephone Report 19 Mar 2016 05:50

I saw where I think the local library in Cambridge had the Stone Cutter so went down and enrolled there two days later and someone must have got in before me..

I thought not to worry and went back and read the recommendations again and thought I would have voted for A man called Ove and the Stone Cutter. Luckily a Man called Ove was there and I am now reading that happily.

When the children were small our neighbour's eldest lad was called Ove named after Ove Fundin the racing car driver. Ove's dad drove midget racing cars. Ove is pronounced Oveee.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Mar 2016 09:40

:-D Perse we do have opposing views on what books we like to read. I know you won't read the first choice (which was my choice, and A man called Ove would have been the last choice on my list if we had to list them in order of preference. Good job we are not all the same! (if A man called Ove had won, I might have tried it to see if I was wrong.)

Persephone

Persephone Report 19 Mar 2016 09:51

Yes, I like to diversify, which I would probably not have done as much of once. I would go through one Author and then I got on to thrillers and stuck with them for ages.

When we had the bookshop, I found I did not read a lot, one could not sit there engrossed in a book and believe it or not I started reading the Mills and Boon.. there were three quite good authors amongst them. They were easy to put down and finish in no time..

I started getting the bus as traffic spots became scarce around the area where we had the shop so usually had a book to read on the bus - the funniest one was Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island. I started to laugh out loud in the bus and had to stop reading and calm down and then I returned to the book only to start giggling and laughing again. That was the best and funniest travel book I have ever read.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 19 Mar 2016 13:07

Back from the library having requested the books by Philippa Gregory and Rosamund Lipton.
P.G book should be ready for collection in two weeks, R.L. book. will take a lot longer.

I have previously read books by both authors and usually enjoyed them, however have just tried reading a P.G book. about Elizabeth of York, wife of Henry V11 and mother of Henry V111. It just didn't gab my interest, do took it back thus morning unfinished.

Perse, while looking on Amazon. for other books, A Man Called Over was mentioned, realising that it was on the list I clicked to find out more. It sounded really interesting,
Looked for it in the library the morning, but not on the shelves. Did not request it as have already got a few books to read. Will be interested to see what you think about it.

Persephone

Persephone Report 19 Mar 2016 23:17

:-)