Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greaders suggestions please for Nov/Dec 2015

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Nov 2015 14:52

Please suggest two books as usual, the vote will take place when all suggestions are in.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 3 Nov 2015 14:59

I enjoyed the "Book Thief" recently but i don't know if this has been read here before?

Otherwise i am very open to suggestions

:-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Nov 2015 15:25

pick two books you would like to read Stella. I actually think we have read the book thief but, on the review thread, we'd appreciate your review of it.

Second thoughts i will take it as one of your suggestions as I can't find that we have read it recently. you can suggest another one as well.

Re the book Thief by markus Zusak
Nine-year-old Liesel lives with her foster family on Himmel Street during the dark days of the Third Reich. Her Communist parents have been transported to a concentration camp, and during the funeral for her brother, she manages to steal a macabre book: it is, in fact, a gravediggers’ instruction manual. This is the first of many books which will pass through her hands as the carnage of the Second World War begins to hungrily claim lives. Both Liesel and her fellow inhabitants of Himmel Street will find themselves changed by both words on the printed page and the horrendous events happening around them.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Nov 2015 15:28

suggestions November-December
The Price to pay by Linda Page
Erica Dunmore’s life is almost perfect. For the past 15 years, her marriage to Simon has been happy and fulfilling, Simon runs a successful business and Rica wants for nothing – except a baby. Fearing that Rica’s craving for a child is turning into an obsession, Simon and Rica’s sister, Fran, beg her to seek professional help. Set in the 60s/70s
Then a chance encounter leads to Simon bringing home a beautiful baby boy who’s been given up for adoption. Rica is ecstatic. With Ricky they can be a proper family at last. Little does she realise though, the horror and heartache that lies ahead when her husband and son go missing.

Precious time by Erica james
In order to spend more time with her four year old son, Clara Costello trades in her secure, well paid job and two seater sports car for a camper van calld winnie and sets off with Ned in search of adventure. Of course her friends and family think she has gone mad.
But, when they arrive in Deaconbridge in the Peak district, Clara and Ned become drawn into the lives of the locals. In particular Gabriel liberty, a cranky widower who seems determined to alienate what little family he has, and Archie merryman, a local dealer in second hand furniture, who has family troubles of his own.
Then Clara finds herself having to confront a dilemma much closer to home, and one she had hoped she would never have to face.....

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 3 Nov 2015 16:15

My second choice if it has not been already read:

Meet Me at the Pier Head
Ruth Hamilton
A brilliant novel from the bestselling Ruth Hamilton.
To save a child, they would sacrifice everything . . . Comfortably settled into his expatriate life in post-war Britain, Headmaster Theodore's secrets are set to remain deeply buried. Until she breezes in. Tia Bellamy: vivacious, intriguing, a nuisance. Tia cuts through his reserve and, for the first time in years, Theodore finds himself able to confront his past and reveal the events carved into his heart and seared into his soul. Together, they form a strong bond with the residents of the Lady Streets, closely befriending Maggie Stone and her granddaughter, Rosie. But Rosie's mother has issues of her own and Tia and Theodore soon realize that little Rosie might be in danger. Unable to protect the child, they decide to take drastic action

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Nov 2015 17:07

I think that is ok Stella.

Mersey

Mersey Report 3 Nov 2015 21:59

My Suggestions are........

The Throwaway Children - Diney Costeloe

Gritty, heartrending and unputdownable - the story of two sisters sent first to an English, then an Australian orphanage in the aftermath of World War 2.

Rita and Rosie Stevens are only nine and five years old when their widowed mother marries a violent bully called Jimmy Randall and has a baby boy by him. Under pressure from her new husband, she is persuaded to send the girls to an orphanage - not knowing that the papers she has signed will entitle them to do what they like with the children.

And it is not long before the powers that be decide to send a consignment of orphans to their sister institution in Australia. Among them - without their family's consent or knowledge - are Rita and Rosie, the throwaway children.

Jam and Roses - Mary Gibson

Three sisters are growing up in 1920s Bermondsey - the larder of London - with its bustling docks, its spice mill, tannery and factories.

Southwells jam factory is where many of the girls work. And Milly Colman knows she's lucky. At Southwells she can have a laugh with her mates. She's quick and strong and never misses a day's work. She needs to be. Because at homes things are very different.

The Colman household is ruled by the tyrannical rages of the old man - her father. Often Milly feels she is the only thing protecting her mother and younger sisters from his murderous violence. At least autumn hop-picking in Kent gives all the Colman women a heavenly respite.

But it is here, on one golden September night, that Milly makes the mistake of her life and finds her courage and strength tested as never before.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Nov 2015 22:12

Thanks Mersey.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 3 Nov 2015 22:12

Both of those sound my sort of read Mersey :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 3 Nov 2015 22:16

Stella I really have enjoyed them :-D

Ann :-D <3

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 4 Nov 2015 10:40

My Suggestions:-

A Little Bit Marvellous by Dawn French

Everyone hates the perfect family.
So you'll love the Battles.
Meet Mo Battle, about to turn 50 and mum to two helpless, hormonal teenagers. There's 17-year-old daughter Dora who blames Mo for, like, EVERYTHING and Peter who believes he's quite simply as darling and marvellous as his hero Oscar Wilde. Somewhere, keeping quiet, is Dad . . . who's just, well... Dad.
However, Mo is having a crisis. She's about to do something unusually wild and selfish, which will leave the entire family teetering on the edge of a precipice. Will the family fall? Or will they, when it really matters, be there for each other?

Little Girl Gone by Alexandra Burt

A baby goes missing. But does her mother want her back?
When Estelle’s baby daughter is taken from her cot, she doesn’t report her missing. Days later, Estelle is found in a wrecked car, with a wound to her head and no memory.
Estelle knows she holds the key to what happened that night – but what she doesn’t know is whether she was responsible…

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 4 Nov 2015 17:57

Just seen this following a message from Ann. Will be back later tonight with suggestions.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 4 Nov 2015 18:25

First suggestion is a nonfiction book.

The Floating Brothel. by Sian Rees.

In July 1789, 237 women convicts left England for Botany Bay in A

ustralia on board a ship called the Lady Julian, destined to provide sexual services and a breeding bank for the men already there. This is the enthralling story of the women and their voyage.

Based on painstaking research and primary sources, such as court records and the firdt-hand account of the voyage written by the ship's steward who fell in love with 19 year old Sarah Whitelam, this is a riviting work of recovered history.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 4 Nov 2015 18:38

My second suggestion is another historical book. This time it is a fictional story.

The Chalice. by Nancy Bilyeau.

England 1538. The nation is reeling after the ruthless dissolution of the monasteries by King Henry V111.
Cast out of Dartford Priory, Joanna Stafford, fiesty, courageous, but scarred by her recent encounter with rebellion at court, is trying to live a quiet life with her five year old charge, Arthur. But family connections draw her dangerously close to a treasonous plot and, repelled by the violence and the whispered conspiracies around her, Joanna seeks a life with a man who loves her. But no matter how hard she tries, she cannot escape the spreading darkness of her destiny.

Persephone

Persephone Report 4 Nov 2015 18:59

The Sweetheart Deal by Polly Dugan

The poignant story of what happens when a woman who thinks she's lost everything has the chance to love again. Leo has long joked that, in the event of his death, he wants his best friend Garrett, a lifelong bachelor, to marry his wife, Audrey. One drunken night, he goes so far as to make Garrett promise to do so. Then, twelve years later, Leo, a veteran fire fighter, dies in a skiing accident. As Audrey navigates her new role as widow and single parent, Garrett quits his job in Boston and buys a one-way ticket out west. Before long, Audrey's feelings for Garrett become more than platonic, and Garrett finds himself falling for Audrey, her boys, and their life together in Portland. When Audrey finds out about the drunken pact from years ago, though, the harmless promise that brought Garrett into her world becomes the obstacle to his remaining in it.

Persephone

Persephone Report 4 Nov 2015 19:00

The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning, flashing past a stretch of cosy suburban homes, and stopping at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. Their life, as she sees it, is perfect... until she sees something shocking. It's only a minute until the train moves on, but now everything is changed. Rachel goes to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

Persephone

Persephone Report 4 Nov 2015 19:10

Just gone 8am here and am off out.. will look in when I get back.. should be before midday.

I had thought of suggesting Rosie Thomas's Daughter of the House .. However, it is really a sequel of The Illusionists. I have not known her to do a sequel before and they can be read as stand alone books but if one has the back ground information of what has gone on before it would help.

If you all have read the first book I will suggest it next time.. if not might have to suggest the Illusionists... they are both great reads in that readable Rosie Thomas style.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Nov 2015 20:07

I haven't read the illusionist

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Nov 2015 20:08

Not on themain pc now so will do the vote tomorrow

Persephone

Persephone Report 4 Nov 2015 20:45

Okey dokey.. I will have a read of all these whilst I have my coffee and muffin