Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re Greaders. is this the general feeling?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Dec 2013 16:33

There is a remark on my thread 'I do wonder sometimes' that:

some members feel that the Hobbies and Crafts Board is not worth adding threads to, as threads will just get swallowd up quickly by the amount of Greaders threads. So a lot of other hobbies, crafts & other interests are not being added

If other people are feeling this would they come on this thread and put their point of view. I can't solve a problem unless I know what it is. It is not good enough to see these things second hand.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Dec 2013 17:14

Hmm. Well.

If there were more active posters on the other 'interest' threads, then the GReaders ones would be pushed to the next page.

If you are concerned about monopolising the board, then you could consider deleting the oldest thread if it's still hanging around once it has fulfilled it's purpose.

Another suggestion, if you don't already, is to edit a 'vote' thread into a 'Result' one then possible into 'Review' at a later date?

If one is to point fingers, then the GenesBookClub is as guilty as the next person. The Marketing dept whose baby this is, post the details then goes off to do something else. They don't even seem to check weekly to see if there are any queries or, apart from the first offering, start a thread for reviews.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 8 Dec 2013 17:18

As an interested bystander, Ann. (and have to admit that I peek into your Greaders for inspiration!), there is no problem that I can see.. The Greaders and Mersey's book thread are the most popular and if GR got their act together and organized their Book Club better, then it would all run smoothly.

If people want to add about their own particular hobbies, then they should 'work it' and keep the thread active.

There is no Take Over bid going on here and for someone to suggest otherwise is laughable. :-D <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Dec 2013 17:42

Thank you.

Detect I could try and do that, turn the vote thread into the result thread. But it is strange that nobody has complained before.

I don't want to delete the previous month's thread because people refer back to it, and some haven't finished their reviews etc. But if it causes a problem I can easily give it up altogether, I don't need any hassle. It takes quite a bit of my time to organise it every 6 weeks.

And nobody has actually complained now only by hearsay. I wonder how many people think that Greaders (which has been going almost 10 years) is the same as the Genes book club threads which are very recent and, in my view, not being well run.

As I said on the other thread, if people added their own craft threads they would knock Greaders off the board. You only have to look at the dates on some of them to realise that they are only there because nothing else has been added.

Thanks BC.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Dec 2013 19:41

Ann - Your Greaders threads don't bother me a jot but I had read the comment you are referring to. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Dec 2013 20:00

:-) :-)

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 9 Dec 2013 01:44

some of the people that add to the Greaders threads also add to other threads on the Hobbies Board.

I am a Greader, so I have an interest in this thread keeping going. Didn't complain when we were on the General Board and didn't ask for a H & C Board, but have accepted what has been offered.

I can't really work out what is happening to The Genes Book Club.
Don't know what book is being read,
or when it is to be reviewed,
don't know how many people are reviewing each book.

Perhaps if Book Club thread was better organised, more people would read it, and commenent on the postings.

Anyone can statrt a thread on H&C (or any other board) so there shouldn't be a problem for other people wanting their voice heard. If there are not a lot of replies, the thread can always be nudged to keep it on (or near) the first page.

Well done to EVERYONE who contributes to the H&C board, I for one, find it quite interesting and informative.

Keep up the good work.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Annx

Annx Report 13 Dec 2013 22:04

Am I missing something here though. I hadn't taken much notice of the Greaders threads before, but if new threads are started for each book and more and more get stickied, so that they take up more and more room, the other threads may eventually be several pages in won't they as the stickied threads are always first? Anyone new coming to the board seeing only Greaders threads for a few pages may think that's all there are. Any other of the threads can be useful to refer back to for tips and hints as well.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Dec 2013 09:40

Annx the confusion is between Greaders and Genes book club which are two different things. Greaders has been going for 10 years, Genes book club only recently started. Greaders threads are never stickied.

I assume that Genes will delete the book club threads after a while. I hope so because that is what is causing Greaders to be unpopular and we never had a problem when we were on the gen board :-)

TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Report 22 Dec 2013 11:09

Anyone can add to the H & C Board I agree. I dont see much point in doing so when I know that it may end up on page 3 in such a short time, due to all the Greaders/ GR Book Club threads that keep going up. At the moment 11 out of 16 threads on the front page belong to Greaders/ GR Book Club plus 2 threads about them, that is a remainder of 3 that is about other subjects. With more Greader/GR Book Club threads being added all the time it is leaving little for oters to add to & puts me off from adding threads to the board as see no point in doing so. Just my veiw but I know some others share it too.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2013 12:01

Oh ok Ron, pity the 'others' don't come on and put their point of view. I must point out that the Greaders threads that are at the bottom of page 1 have not been added to since 6 December so any threads added during this month would have knocked them off the page. The Genes threads are mostly stickied. But you are entitled to your view.