Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ordnance Survery Maps and Newspapers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 29 Aug 2013 22:20

Dear All

Hello

Do you save a newspaper from an historic event?

Do you use old Ordnance Survey maps to help you with your family research?

Take gentle care
Best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 30 Aug 2013 18:00

Elizabeth, I use old Ordnance Survey maps when I can gain access for my research oldmaps.com used to be a great help and although you can still view them online the quality has been reduced making them difficult to read, 150x zoom helps though

when you find a census with a place name that cannot be found on up to date maps the old OS maps are great because some old place names no longer exist and you can always relate/overlay the old maps on to modern maps

Roy

K

K Report 30 Aug 2013 21:08

My husband has a passion for old OS maps and I am very lucky that there is rarely an area of England and Wales that he hasn't got a map for.

I also find the oldmaps site invaluable

Kay

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 30 Aug 2013 21:47

I HAVE A PASSION FOR MAPS OLDER THE BETTER,SOME PRINTED ON LINEN
SOME OLD SCOTLAND ONES ARE JUST CONTOURS BUT IF YOU GET A MODERN DAY MAP,,,,,EXACTLY THE SAME A FEW YEARS AGO AT A CAR SHOW ON ONE OF THE STALLS I BOUGHT SOME OLD LONDON AREA SHOWING THE BOY HE SAID WHERES THE M25,HE COULDN'T BELIEVE THERE HAD NEVER BEEN A M25,HE COULDN'T EVEN FIND WHERE HE LIVED IN ESSEX

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Sep 2013 21:53

I don't actually save old newspapers but have occasionally keep one I think relevant, eg maybe one from the Royal wedding etc. I do have some from just before the war that my Dad saved though.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Sep 2013 17:21

The whole OS 7th Series are available on line here, free

http://maps.nls.uk/os/one-inch-seventh-series/

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Feb 2014 17:59

Another interesting thread buried

Annx

Annx Report 28 Feb 2014 20:40

Thank you Rollo! :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Feb 2014 21:39