General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Royal Portrait

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 15 May 2024 12:04

If you have seen it do you like it?
I must admit the 1st time I saw it I thought I thought ' Why' but seeing it a few times now I really like it. I find the colour looks different as on one news programme it looks red but on another one it looked pink. I suppose it is down to studio lighting The red is the look I liked.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 May 2024 12:13

Hmm I have just looked at it but personally, I'm not keen. Why not have his face as it is but with a more lighter background, something more neutral perhaps?
I do like red but for me it takes over the portrait. However that's just my perspective.

Florence in the hebrides

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 May 2024 12:14

Yes I have seen it and I think it is hideous. The actual face and features are really good but the rest of it is awful IMO.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 May 2024 12:16

I'm with you, Ginnie. It sort of grows on you. The face and hands are very good and the red colouring doesn't seem so obtrusive after a while. I gather the butterfly was the King's idea, so he presumably likes it.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 May 2024 12:37

I expect one really needs to see the painting itself. Photos probably don’t do it justice.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 May 2024 12:55

I actually like it now I have seen it a few times. At least it is not boring. Nice to be modern andI think if we saw it hanging it would look good.

Von

Von Report 15 May 2024 13:27

I think it’s great. A really good likeness.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 15 May 2024 13:43

Yes I think it would be better if we saw it hanging . Definitely a talking point which is what art is supposed to be apparently.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 May 2024 13:49

I have just had another good look at it but to me, the actual portrait is probably very good but it just looks as if someone has taken a spray can and sprayed all over the portrait.

I tried hard to see it in a different light but nope def wont change my opinion.!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 May 2024 13:51

Same here Florence :-D :-D :-D :-D

kandj

kandj Report 15 May 2024 17:10

It is certainly very different to the traditional royal portraits. I really like the King's face and the Monach butterfly is different, but I'm not sure that I like the red and pink coloured background.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 16 May 2024 06:20

My first thought was that it looked as though it had been painted, then the local graffiti artist had vandalised it. But the more I see it, it is growing on me.

Annx

Annx Report 16 May 2024 17:36

I like that it is a different take, and I like the Monarch butterfly, but as it is it looks like a head and hands floating in a sea of pink/red. Where the light shines on the head and hands is good but I would like it better if the same light was reflected on his uniform as well, especially on his sword, medals and the metal braid and buttons on his jacket. I think it would be more cohesive if that's the word and more regal. I think the hand looks a bit big compared with the face as well.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 May 2024 21:34

I really like it. I would like to see it full size and hanging in its allotted place as it's hard to judge from a newspaper picture the level of redness/pinkness and whether it would be overwhelming. Just going by the newspaper picture I saw I think it's superb and is a very good marriage between tradition and modernity. However I do differ from most of you in that I don't like the butterfly. I think it looks out of place in a formal portrait and doesn't do anything for it at all.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 16 May 2024 21:59

I must admit that the 1st time I saw it I didn't notice the butterfly until the presenter mentioned it. I don't feel it adds anything really but it doesn't bother me.