General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Interesting phone call

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Apr 2024 15:30

Just had a very crackly phone call on my mobile.
I had to ask her 3 times who she was, then I put my phone on speaker.

After asking her to repeait another couple of times, it transpires she's allegedly from 'O2' - which I'm not with.

She then says something else - I ask if it's a scam. She (obviously) says (amongst more crakling) no.
I then ask why 'O2' would be calling me. More crackling from her.

I then point out that receiving unwanted phone calls is one thing.
My having to make an effort just to understand the scam she's trying to sell me is ridiculous - bordering on insane - say goodbye - and press 'end call'.

It's a tactic - not being able to hear - I may use in the future!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 25 Apr 2024 15:51

Be warned Maggie it is a scam and they change the number they call from all the time :-| :-| :-|. Everytime I have blocked them they call again the b*****ds :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Apr 2024 22:29

I know it's 'a scam - they also 'scam' phone numbers too.
This one was allegedly from Milton Keynes.

I will use the 'sorry it's a bad line' in future .
If it's a proper or important call, they'll call you back.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Apr 2024 09:07

Since virgin media let O2 take over mobiles I have constantly got scam calls and texts

They are a bee nuisance

Have blocked several times but they still get through

This despite me being on telephone preference too :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Apr 2024 10:16

TP makes no difference to those scam calls. All it does is stop British companies cold calling. Because I hardly use my mobile and don’t give the number out I don’t get any - my OH does.

Because some of those scam calls have a long pause before anyone says anything I often go on about no one being there and it being a silent call. Lovely to hear them going on and on trying to talk to me.

You have to get some amusement whenever you can :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Apr 2024 10:59

I now say nothing if I can see its a suspected spam call and then it cuts off anyway. If they ask to speak with me and they cant pronounce my name, I now just hang up as really cant be bothered to let them speak. Sometimes I don't answer my mobile as I can see the number so I know when its a spam call .

As for the TPS, it only stops direct selling such as insurance, double glazing etc, it wont stop spam calls as they are not direct sellers just a blooming nuisance!

But on occasions, I have just answered and let them waffle on and not say anything except a mmn, yes and that's it. All the time they are on your phone, it stops them bothering someone else and you've wasted their time not the other way round .

Florence in the hebrides

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Apr 2024 12:30

I kept one regular pest (I recognised her voice) chatting about holidays in Spain for nearly an hour one day when I had nothing much to do. Eventually she came back to the reason for her call and when I said I wasn't interested she said "thanks for wasting my time" and hung up. :-) :-)

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 26 Apr 2024 16:18

There's a programme on channel 5 tonight about scam calls which might be interesting. We are getting a lot at the moment ( from 'our bank' security dept. ) which we do answer as it comes up as a local number - I do block it for any future calls from that number but they just come back with another local one the next day.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Apr 2024 17:18

Apart from the numerous credit cards he must have ( seems to use a new one every few days to buy a money order) he is now getting voice mails by email. Another new scam.