General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Worrying news

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Jun 2022 14:53

Polio is back :-0

Whilst they think this may come from the newly vaccinated it is als thought that there may have been some transmission. As if we didn't have enough to worry about:

Florence61

Florence61 Report 22 Jun 2022 15:02

I just heard this briefly on the radio. I did have that jag when i was young. Im sure i remember a sugar lump with medicine on being given?

How worrying after all these years :-0

Von

Von Report 22 Jun 2022 16:11

https://news.sky.com/story/traces-of-polio-virus-found-in-london-sewage-as-health-officials-declare-national-incident-12638443 :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Jun 2022 16:12

Perhaps the Government MAY now take a stand on the amount of sewage that's being pumped into our rivers and the sea!!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/02/untreated-sewage-discharge-england-coastal-bathing-waters-2021

Von

Von Report 22 Jun 2022 16:15

One can only hope Maggie. Don’t hold your breath with this shower ;-) ;-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Jun 2022 16:19

When I clicked on the link it came up with a picture of a sailing ship, am I missing something?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Jun 2022 16:34

No, my brain is not affected.

I was trying to paste that into another thread and somehow, magically, it has taken the place of a link to the BBC :-S :-S

Wonder where,she I’ll find it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Jun 2022 18:33

...so that's a resurgence of polio, monkeypox and children going down with some sort of hepatitis.

Well, both polio and hepatitis can be carried in sewage.

Two ways monkeypox can be spread are:
1) direct contact with the infectious rash, scabs, or body fluids
2) touching items (such as clothing or linens) that previously touched the infectious rash or body fluids.

Body fluids - they would be in sewage, too.

It appears, in October 2021, the Government 'U' turned and told water companies not to dump sewage in rivers and the sea.

However, I feel the damage has been done.

Perhaps a limit on the amount of their vast profits that go into the pockets of shareholders, would encourage water companies to spend some money on updating their systems.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Jun 2022 18:49

Alas it is £s over people and only when that is realised will things change, hopefully.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jun 2022 20:15

The news that I read said that it was a variant of polio that had been found, and it was thought to have been released in a stool or stools from someone who had been vaccinated outside Britain with a vaccine made from live virus.

It has apparently been found several times in the sewage since February, and is apparently still mutating.

The fact that it is mutating is really not a surprise, after all this is what Covid has been doing!

If you were vaccinated, no matter how long ago and no matter with which vaccine back in the early days in the 1950s, you are not at danger.

The problem is with children who have not been vaccinated, especially during the last 2 years when Covid disrupted a lot of things.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Jun 2022 23:00

But none of this would have happened, if water/sewage companies hadn't been allowed to randomly deposit waste in rivers and the sea in the UK.
They make vast profits - some of that profit MUST be used to update systems, rather than increase the amount in shareholder's pockets.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jun 2022 23:36

maggie ........... I see the problem at the moment is that these samples have been found IN the sewage system, before it has been discharged into water courses.

So far as I know, the UK does not send sewage straight into the water courses, but that it at least goes through settling ponds. These samples have been found before that point.

It is showing that someone, or more than one person, is out and about in the community and shedding evidence of carrying live polio vaccine.

Therefore the problem is finding those who have already contracted the virus, and getting treatment to them, PLUS ensuring that those in the community who have not been vaccinated with the GB form of vaccine are found and get vaccinated.

I don't know which countries use the attenuated live virus vaccine, except that it is NOT the UK, and this is why it is so worrying.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jun 2022 09:51

Three counties have been named as using the live vaccine. All with a lot of movement ent into the UK.

I think the water companies do a lot of testing of the water so that sometimes they can spot the rise of infections, such as covid, before the medics become aware.

Let’s keep hoping that it doesn’t spread widely.