General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Owners of land.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Jul 2021 20:37

Where I live the houses are the first to be on this piece of land so how can I find out who owned it before it was built on please?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 24 Jul 2021 20:47

Try the land registry search

Jan.

Jan. Report 24 Jul 2021 20:48

Sorry to butt in, but I'm wondering if you have to pay for the land registry search?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Jul 2021 20:50

Search fee is usually a small amount.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Jul 2021 20:51

Jan probably will, it rare to get something for nothing these days.

Jan.

Jan. Report 24 Jul 2021 20:57

Thanks JoyLouise and ZZzzz , I guess you are both right - it is rare to get something for nothing! :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Jul 2021 12:02

Before you spend money on a Land Registry search, do you know when the first houses were built?

If you do, try the local newspaper archives as there will almost certainly be something about it from someone objecting to the idea!!

Depending how far back and where you are, they might even be on FMP.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Jul 2021 12:22

The Local Studies centre or records office may have maps of the time which may help.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 25 Jul 2021 12:32

Maybe a local History Society too, ours has loads of that sort of information and maps

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 25 Jul 2021 13:09

If your house is built on the land in question, it might be on your Deeds :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Jul 2021 13:48

Thanks everyone, sometimes the answers stare me in the face but I just don't see them. :-)

Inky1

Inky1 Report 27 Jul 2021 16:04

Anyone who has - or had - a mortgage will probably have had a copy of the 'Deeds' provided by their solicitor. But information therein is unlikely to include anything prior to when the land/property was was registered.

I have the original records of a house build in the 1880's that my great grandfather bought in 1901. He was the second owner. He sold it to one of his sons in 1920. (My grandfather). None of this early detail is recorded in the Land Registry 'Deeds'.

BTW
I was the executor for the eventual sale of this house. I took all of the documents that I found to the solicitor. She was only interested the the Land Registry item. And she told me that I should either keep the rest for interest, or sell them (!!!!!) It seems that there is a market for these old hand written and illustrated things.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Jul 2021 16:37

My parents bought a new build bungalow in 1936.
I do remember seeing the deeds at some point and there was mention of who had owned the land prior to that. It had at one time belonged to a manor estate.

The property stayed in our family until 2006, when it was sold.
As I knew paper deeds were not required to be kept, I requested to have them or at least a copy, but sadly the solicitor got rid of them :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 27 Jul 2021 17:06

It may also be possible to find out more info from the LA valuer - they have never been ones to miss out collecting what’s due. I’ve seen them refer to aerial photographs in order to see who’s been adding what without a permit.