General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Poor Little Mite

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 8 May 2021 20:51

In the USA ended up in hospital with head lice. It was so bad the little girl couldn’t walk and was very nearly at deaths door due to blood loss. The child was just four years old. Her six year old sister also had them but no where near as badly. This has been an issue since November but it’s taken till now for anyone to be report concerns but the mother has now been charged with neglect.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 May 2021 21:11

I read that too!
Didn't the mother have them, or was she happy to go aroud scratching her head?

Tawny

Tawny Report 8 May 2021 21:31

I don’t know if the mother had them too but even if she didn’t she must have seen them in her daughters hair for them to have it that bad.

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 May 2021 21:32

I had head lice.

Because I was forever firking my head (Sussex word!) I enlisted the help of two mothers who were well experienced in the search for them and neither of them could find any.

It was not until I was having yet another good scratch and one fell on to my arm that I actually found them.

It didn't take much to get rid of them with plenty of conditioner.

Tawny

Tawny Report 8 May 2021 21:33

I had head lice a couple of times as a child and my mum was along to the chemist for a nit comb and medicated shampoo.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 May 2021 21:39

I caught them off a Brownie Tawny :-0

Tawny

Tawny Report 8 May 2021 21:44

I have to be 2 metres away from them at the moment LG :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 May 2021 21:49

:-D :-D :-D :-D I don't mix with them at all now :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 May 2021 21:50

Two metres is quite a good distance to keep from a Brownie anyway!

Tawny

Tawny Report 8 May 2021 21:56

20 years and counting but I’m sure I’ll leave eventually. I keep meaning to and then forget at the start of a new term. I’m sure there’s a name for that form of amnesia somewhere :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 May 2021 22:04

I ran 2 brownie and a rainbow unit for 17 years until I retired. It's called commitment and I think I should have been committed ;-) :-D :-D.I loved every minute of it :-D

Tawny

Tawny Report 8 May 2021 22:19

One rainbows and one brownie unit and I love my girls and I love watching them grow. The people they most admire include Rosalind Franklyn, Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Ada Lovelace, Mary Seacole, Emmeline Pankhurst, Mary Shelley, Emily Davison, Mary Anning, Margaret Thatcher and Marie Curie.

They are amazing and inquisitive young girls.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 May 2021 11:33

Head lice were not unusual in my children's schools at one time. Easy to see why when you consider the make-up of their classes.

My daughter's class, for example, contained children not only from Oz but also from England, New Zealand, Greece, Italy, Vietnam, Malaysia, South Africa and Mauritius. A few had fled their own countries by the skin of their teeth. It was pretty similar at my son's school too except his included some South Americans in the count.

(Sad to say, but at that time a number of teenaged boys had fled South America by the skin of their teeth and were without parents when they landed in Oz.)

At that time, TB had reared its head too. At senior school my son's class had to line up for the TB jab with never a mention of testing first.

When we arrived in England, my daughter had TB immunity so never needed the vaccination.

My immediate colleagues, too, came from a variety of countries apart from Oz (England, Ireland, Greece, Italy, Vietnam, Russia, and one Vietnamese-born refugee was still undergoing treatment for TB when we worked together).

I could understand Boris's earlier herd-immunity thinking but not dicing with death with a virus for which no remedy or cure had been found, unlike tuberculosis.

I wonder if anyone has caught covid from head lice hopping from one head to another ..... just thinking.....?

Linda

Linda Report 10 May 2021 23:29

I had them as a child but back then the nit nurse came into school and if she found them in your hair you were sent home and told not to come back till your hair was clean. I remember leaning over the sink for ages and my hair being combed through with the nit comb and all these nits falling out in the sink, the trouble is the nit nurse stopped going into school so hair is not checked so the spread :-( :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 May 2021 10:06

My Dad always told us to keep our heads away from others as the lice were good jumpers.

Being kids who always saw the funny side, we used to try and imagine them in little knitted jumpers. ;-) :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 11 May 2021 18:32

Tawny, was the pun, (mite, head lice) intended?