General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ireland Scotland immigration records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gordon

Gordon Report 17 Jan 2021 19:20

Are there any type of immigration records available from the mid 1850's for people coming to Scotland from Ireland? I have traced the Irvine name back to around 1850 but once the records say born in Ireland it becomes a dead end. Appreciate any help.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 17 Jan 2021 19:29

Scotland’s People might help.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 17 Jan 2021 19:34

Or try Google :-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 17 Jan 2021 19:42

If you go to Genealogy Chat thread on here they may help :-)

Gordon

Gordon Report 17 Jan 2021 20:43

Thank you Emma. I will try Google and Genealogy Chat, but cannot find any more from Scotland's People so far.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 Jan 2021 22:01

As Ireland was part of the UK the people were simply going from one part of the country to another. There are no records as such anymore than there are any for people going from England to Wales, for example.

greyghost

greyghost Report 17 Jan 2021 23:13

Sometimes you might be lucky and a census record might say where in Ireland they came from, then you can try -

Civil and earlier parish records on here (free to use)
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie

also

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347 (also free to use)

An index of Ireland civil registration including 1864-1958 births, 1845-1958 marriages, and 1864-1958 deaths, but excluding index records for Northern Ireland after its creation in 1922.

and
Find My Past has some Ireland Roman Catholic records

Gordon

Gordon Report 18 Jan 2021 16:05

Thank you very much Andysmum and grey ghost. I was afraid there were no travel records between Ireland and Scotland for the reasons you stated.

I will try the 2 websites you gave me.