General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just a thought.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 17 Jan 2021 12:30

With all this can't go out and those that do go out and gather where they shouldn't etc, what about sailors in submarines, they can't even see daylight for days or months on end.

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Jan 2021 13:03

Walk a mile in their shoes...so to speak.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Jan 2021 13:45

Exactly, ZZzzz.

Sometimes I think we sometimes forget to dig deep for our grit and determination.

We should all have a commander to remind us to stand firm and lock us in the clink if we wobble! (I was going to write 'brig' but I'm not sure if it's called that on subs.) :-S

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 17 Jan 2021 14:09

Just asked hubby and he said Admiral is equal to Brig.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 Jan 2021 14:35

You are quite right, JoyLouise. A brig is a lock-up on a warship and, like you, I'm not sure if they have them on subs.

A Brig. is short for Brigadier and is the equivalent of Admiral, so ZZzzz's hubby is right too.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Jan 2021 14:58

That made me laugh, ZZzzz - thrown into an Admiral. Although he may have enjoyed ladies being thrown at him. ;-) :-D

DAd was ex-RN (Warspite and others) so although I knew what the brig was on a ship I still have no idea what it is called on a sub, Perhaps they just jettisoned them so they had to sink or swim! :-D :-D :-D

Any submariners to tell us what a brig is on their vessels?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Jan 2021 15:09

According to our friend "Mr. Google" a submarine does not have a brig as there isn't room for one and it wouldn't be needed. The crew of a submarine is very close knit and although they may get into trouble ashore it doesn't happen on board.

If anyone did need to be detained it would be in an empty bunk.

Kath. x

BrianW

BrianW Report 17 Jan 2021 15:54

From a pedant:
If they put him in an empty bunk it wouldn't be empty !
Maybe in a spare one ? (although I don't know if there would be a spare on in a sub)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jan 2021 16:10

Would he just be told he's a 'Very naughty boy'? :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Jan 2021 16:41

Well he could hardly stand in the corner....

Island

Island Report 17 Jan 2021 17:20

Nautical step?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jan 2021 17:21

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jan 2021 18:27

Wasn't there a sub in a Scottish harbour very recently that was just ready to go out on patrol when someone tested positive for covid, last test before sailing if I remember correctly.

The whole crew, captain and all, had to be taken off and a new crew substituted.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Jan 2021 18:40

Didn't hear or read about that Sylvia. Was it in the Clyde?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jan 2021 22:13

I think a loch was mentioned, isn't there a sub base in one of the large lochs?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 17 Jan 2021 22:20

Yes, it's at Faslane in The Gareloch, which is a sea loch off the Clyde.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jan 2021 22:47

This wasn't the one I was thinking of ............... but it was a UK sub in the US last October

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-outbreak-hits-uk-submarine-after-stop-at-us-base-2020-10

The above was pure stupidity!!!

THIS is the one I was thinking of!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9012553/Trident-submarine-crew-replaced-officer-tested-positive-Covid-19.html

They seem to point the finger at inspectors who went aboard the sub at Faslane naval base ........ crew was in total isolation, keeping to their cabins, having food delivered, BUT ........

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Jan 2021 19:09

I have many happy memories of time spent years ago in and around Helensburgh where friends had moved because of his job as a civilian engineer with the MoD at Clydeside.

I have not been back for years and my lovely friend is long gone, too soon. <3