General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone watch....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Jan 2021 20:11

Salvage hunters? Hubby likes watching it but I don't because I think the bloke has believes his own publicity that he is the best salvage hunter but he is the only one and doesn't actually do anything.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Jan 2021 21:04

he does appear to have "wide Knowledge" and an eye for a bargain,(most times in HIS favour)

I find his restoring team, more interesting.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 15 Jan 2021 21:15

I get the feeling he has already been to the places he claims is the first time and do the experts he buys from let him rip them off.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 16 Jan 2021 11:13

I watch it sometimes and must admit I often think why would anyone want the stuff he buys, they must do though as he seems to be successful.
I think the cost of travelling and staff wages has to be factored into the price he pays. I would say he is a very canny business man who knows his stuff.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 16 Jan 2021 12:04

I like to watch it :-D

It amazes me that he thinks he can sell some of the stuff he buys :-0

There are some items, when restored, have been given a new lease of life but then there are other items, even after they've been cleaned, I wouldn't want in my house :-0

He definately has an 'eye' for things and how they can be used :-D

As the saying goes 'One man's rubbish is another man's treasure' which is certainly the case for Drew ;-) :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 16 Jan 2021 14:00

He sells most of the stuff abroad ie Australia,USA.

The americans pay big money for old /antiques

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 4 Feb 2021 20:51

I still find it hard to believe that he gets away with talking people out of what they have inherited and paying a pittance for it.

Kay

Kay Report 5 Feb 2021 00:43

I like to watch his programme-but only when I need to get a bit of swearing practice in!! The man' s a low life with no conscience.

Andrew

Andrew Report 5 Feb 2021 09:06

Most, if not all, of this type of programme as staged. It's all about entertainment

Andy

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Feb 2021 10:01

Kay that is exactly what I think too.

Andrew I have said to hubby that someone visits the place first, he finds things that he wants to buy to quickly, it's cheap to produce no actors fees and he will go out of fashion when something else comes along.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Feb 2021 14:02

I would like to visit his shop, not to buy anything, just to look but don't trust myself to keep my mouth shut, I would probably say what I think of him which is that he is a scavenger.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 5 Feb 2021 14:59

I would like to go to his shop to have a nosey around and see what his prices are like, doubt that I would find anything to buy though.

The programmes are edited so they fit more than 1 place in an episode, most of the ones I've seen he has brought stuff from other dealers or at antique markets and the mark up on antiques is huge. Dealers will always have a retail price and a dealer to dealer price. Trade prices I suppose.

Does he buy from private homes? He wouldn't be interested in my stuff . :-D :-D :-D

Does anyone watch 'The Bidding Room' a dealer off there was in one of the Salvage Hunter episodes.