General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Phoning 111 & covid

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Jan 2021 12:57

Someone I know slightly through a friend is in hospital on oxygen.

They had tested positive and their condition worsened during the night. So they rang 111 and was told to go on line to book a call back. So they managed to get downstairs and get on the computer. The OH had been sleeping downstairs and got woken up at this point.

What if you are too ill to get on the computer, especially if you are on your own.
What if you don’t have a computer - what then?

So much for a 24/7 service.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Jan 2021 13:59

I don't know but I think if I was really ill and got that instruction I would phone 999 and see if they would come out.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 8 Jan 2021 14:54

The NHS website says you should dial 999 in every case where there is a threat to life. I would classify Covid-19 as an emergency, particularly in the case quoted above.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Jan 2021 15:09

I did wonder if part of it is ‘the everyone uses a smart phone’ syndrome.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2021 15:28

...or it's assumed everyone walks around with the darned thing attached to their person!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Jan 2021 15:30

Don't they?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Jan 2021 23:53

No. I can go upstairs - and it's downstairs.
I do have a landline upstairs and downstairs.

I go out shopping - and take my pay-as-you go, but not my smartphone.

I go into the garden, or for a walk - with no phone at all :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jan 2021 08:42

Yes Maggie, I am the same as you, or I was until my OH went into hospital. Now I do carry it with me all the time as that is what he mostly uses to contact me.

Yes I would dial 999

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Jan 2021 09:54

I had a face to face with the physio this week.

Panic - not about going out but remembering to find my mobile AND have it turned on.