General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probably not an unusual situation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jan 2021 21:54

....but one we rarely hear about.

My son in law's sister 'L' works at a care home.
She, her partner and children live in the same house, but in a flat above her parents.
Her father is vulnerable, as is her husband, who has lung problems.
Because of this, 'L' has been staying at the Care Home.
Today (her birthday) she tested positive for Covid. The home has an outbuilding where those who test positive isolate. Unfortunately, the outbuilding only houses 2, who are (fortunately) due to be 'released' tomorrow.

What is 'L' to do tonight?
She can't stay in the home, can't stay in the outbuilding, can't go home, and, as she's positive, can't go to a hotel.
It very much looks like she'll be spending a freezing night in her car.

So much for 'caring' for the carers! :-| :-|

Allan

Allan Report 6 Jan 2021 22:52

Rhetoric is all fine and dandy, but too often it is used to avoid action rather than initiate it :-|

I hope that all works out for the family

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jan 2021 22:57

Too true, Allan.
They wanted to bring back 'Clap for the Carers' tonight.
How about giving them a pay rise, sufficient PPE, the vaccination - and have a decent policy in place for situations like 'L's'?

During every lockdown, 'L's' avoided her family, so sh could continue looking after the elderly, and keep her family safe. It makes you wonder why she bothered.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jan 2021 23:08

'L' lives in Sussex.
My other daughter's friend (in Hampshire) has offered, if she can get there, to give up his house, for her to self-isolate in <3

Allan

Allan Report 6 Jan 2021 23:19

I do sincerely hope that everything works out, Maggie. :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jan 2021 23:33

Well, it appears the Home have found her a 'building' to stay in.
No electricity, or running water, not sure what sort of bed - and no loo!
It sounds like the shed :-(

My Hampshire daughter (who works for the NHS) was saying that, during the summer, colleagues who caught covid were locking themselves in their bedrooms (if they had an en-suite), doctors were confining themselves to the 'annexe' of their house, and the majority 'average' people resorted to living in tents.