General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

One Man's Trash.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 5 Jan 2021 21:22

I took OH on a romantic trip yesterday.

Well, OK, we went to the local tip, but because of my previous reincarnation and affiliation with all things to do with waste management it was romantic for me.

The more mundane reason for the visit was to dispose of a collection of drink bottles and cans for which we now receive cash; 10cents per item

It was our first trip to the new facility and we were like a couple of kids on a day out :-D

Disposed of the said items and received the princely sum of $5. 90.

We then proceeded to the next building which sells reclaimed and salvaged items.

In a large box on a table were some Christmas baubles, brand new and never taken from their packaging.

Asked the attendant the price and was told $4.00. I duly went to take out the baubles and the attendant said no, the price was for the entire large box, so we took the lot.

Long story short, when we got home and sorted through the contents there must have been over $50.00 worth of Christmas stuff[ unopened boxes of crackers, more baubles, lights and the list goes on :-D

Some of the decent stuff we will keep, the rest will be going into a garage sale that we will be having soon.

I will be disappointed if we don't recoup our original outlay of $4.00 :-D :-D

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 5 Jan 2021 21:45

:-D

Allan

Allan Report 5 Jan 2021 21:54

I could always donate some of the baubles to GR

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jan 2021 22:09

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 5 Jan 2021 22:51

Not sure they'd know what to do with them Allan :-D suggestions on a postcard please......
so Allan not only a romantic trip but you bought OH a gift too...you're really pushing the boat out what have you done wrong :-D

Allan

Allan Report 5 Jan 2021 23:00

The most ironic part is that we have decided to downsize and have to declutter the house before putting it on the market and here we are actually bringing someone else's clutter into the house

Oh! I forgot, this year, well last year now, we didn't even put the tree up at Christmas :-D :-D :-D

Still, there's always tomorrow...at least we get to celebrate two Christmases each year :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jan 2021 00:10

Sounds like a great day out and it could be profitable too.

How do you celebrate your second Christmas?

Special food and traditions?

Allan

Allan Report 6 Jan 2021 01:03

Gwyn, we used to leave the tree up when the children were still at home and we had traditional Ukrainian foods, but these days we tend not to do anything special.

I'll make a curry for tomorrow which we'll have with chicken, but as the temp for tomorrow is for 39c we'll remain flexible :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jan 2021 03:19

I used to try to persuade my mother to leave the tree and decorations up after Jan 6 as it was my birthday the next day

I even tried the Ukrainian Christmas one year.

It still didn't work :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Jan 2021 12:39

No tree at Xmas, Allan. :-0 :-|

I hummed and hahd (that doesn't look right ) over it but in the end, up it went but without any baubles because I could not be bothered. It was still very cheery though as it was dressed in three chains of beads and almost 1,000 lights (960 to be precise - and every one still working after more than five years).

I may just do the same next year. :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 6 Jan 2021 13:59

Oh the romance of it all Allan, such a lucky lady. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jan 2021 17:35

We didn't bother with a tree because we've only ever had real ones. We did think of getting a small table-top one, but then didn't go out to the place where we usually buy our trees.

Allan

Allan Report 6 Jan 2021 20:57

Well now that we have 'rescue' baubles we will have to have the tree up this year. :-P

I might put it up just after Easter as I want to have the maximum return for our $4.00 investment :-D :-D

That's me, Emma, the last of the old romantics; tomorrow I'm taking OH down to the local sewage works for a quiet picnic. ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 6 Jan 2021 21:29

Sylvia, my OH has the family room to himself and he still went ahead and decorated it to Grandad's grotto standard as it has become known. He has a tall, ready lit and pre-baubled pop-up tree, another lovely shaped tall lit bush in the corner and he strung all his usual coloured grotto lights around the walls.

All for just me this year :-D ;-)

I got so used to them all I began switching them on as I went through to the kitchen every morning. :-D