General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Been experimenting again

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jan 2021 14:16

I am not vegan and I must have semi-skimmed in my tea but, when we went into lockdown last year, I bought a bag of porridge oats and some dates in case I needed to make oat milk in case of all deliveries ceasing.

It was not until the other day that I finally had a go at it and the recipe is very simple.You just soak a cup of porridge oats in a litre of water for half an hour with four dates. Then you add a little pinch of salt and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Liquidize it all and put it through muslin or a fine sieve twice and there you are.

It tastes alright but I didn't like the raw oat taste to it so I simmered it a bit. So there we are then, smooth porridge!

When it was cold,put it through the muslin a couple more times and it was delicious but thick. Diluted and sweetened a bit it was bloody lovely!

I think I might start making and using it more now I can do it.

Time for more experiments I think!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jan 2021 14:21

Have to admit, I just bought a tub of powdered milk!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 5 Jan 2021 14:30

And some long-life milk, Maggie.

Be prepared - was that the Boy Scouts motto?

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jan 2021 14:31

Long-life milk is devil's wee!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Jan 2021 14:36

Longlife is OK in porridge or similar, but I'm not so keen on it for hot drinks.

I usually buy some at the beginning of winter, just to have by for emergencies, but often find myself having to find a use for it as it nears it's 'best before' date.
Can't waste it.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 5 Jan 2021 14:37

Then I have some devil's wee in my cupboard! :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jan 2021 14:50

When I did my paper round, I was getting on a bit then, somebody on the farm would make me a cup of tea.

Her son was cowman and he brought the milk in straight from the dairy.

Usually it was fine but, when the farm got hold of a load of apple pulp to feed the cows, it was horrible, tasted off to me so I drank my tea black.

Once it went into the bulk tank the nasty taste would have dissipated.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Jan 2021 14:53

I don't actually like powdered milk, and for preference, use unhomogenised milk in my tea, and double cream in my coffee.

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Jan 2021 15:03

The last dairy farm in the village, which now also produces ice-cream, will sell you raw milk as well.

I am toying with the idea of buying a gallon of cream to have a bash at butter making.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 6 Jan 2021 11:53

I'll come around and help you scrape out the cream tub! :-D :-D :-D (at a distance, obviously)

As for raw milk - yummy!
Ex used to bring it home from work in two cute mini-churns, when we worked for Sparsholt Agricultural College.