General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

scammers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 4 Jan 2021 14:20

happy new year all,had a scammer this morning,told me was from bt,and that my broad band was hacked,well long story short after asking him many questions ,said can you ring me back in 5 mins,rang bt to report the number he rang --00426491155997 while i was talking to bt rep,he tried to get through bt blocked both numbers.other ended with 26? it was a foreighner and there must have been100 people doing the same thing in the room.
these people have no morals whatsoever,. when the phone rang first i thought it was a text message then a robot started by saying that my broadband contract was due for renewal and if i was the phone owner press one ,well silly me did, twice coz after i pressed first time the question was repeated so i did it again then a human came on.
hope this info helps. my son put very secure stuff on my machine so ,how they get through i dont know.

best wishes to all
wendy (lincs)

Barbra

Barbra Report 4 Jan 2021 15:41

Any scam is worth reporting many Thanks Wendy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jan 2021 19:12

I got a bt text last week
Said it was from a mobile nos and the message was giving job nos etc and waiting for you to arrange collection

My car was in for repair .collected the wed before Christmas and the arrangement was I would ring after Christmas to see how it was doing so I thought must be the car

Couldn’t get through to the repairer so googled for BT’s texts and rang the 0845 nos and listened to the message again

Decided it was a hoax call so deleted

Will get charged for the 0845 nos though

And it wasn’t the car ,that was returned on Thursday !

The text even said this is a text for shirley,

I am ex directory .nos witheld , tel won’t accept nos witheld calls ,and on the telephone preference but somehow that call got through :-| :-\

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Jan 2021 08:43

This was a first. I’ve just had a real person phone me about my Amazon Prime account. Due for renewal and what do I want to do. Nothing, I say, as I don’t have one. Yes you do that’s why I’m calling you. No I don’t , I don’t have any sort of Amazon account (myself).

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jan 2021 14:53

Would you believe I have just answered the phone to a recorded message from a Jason about my BT line

I said get lost and put the phone down

The nos was 0208988500

Have blocked it

And I don’t have a BT line ! :-( :-P

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jan 2021 15:01

I had another one this week. From Microsoft Corporation.. they had my name, address, postcode etc. Easy to get sucked in when they have all your details and you are not on the ball.

Told him I knew more than him and blocked his number.