General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tommy Docherty RIP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Jan 2021 10:35

Even though I am not a football fan, I knew who TD was.

He died on New Year's Eve. A big loss to the football world, I can imagine.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 1 Jan 2021 11:05

One of the characters of football. A good age 92.

An international player -for Scotland, after his playing career finished he became a manager. I remember Chelsea, Villa, Wolves and Man Utd.

RIP Doc <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 2 Jan 2021 23:15

Very sad but what an age!I

Rest in peace, Tommy

Lizzy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jan 2021 08:16

Same here Joylouise, I am not a football fan by any means but I knew who he was too, The same with many other footballers of around the same era. Why, in a pre digital age I wonder, did we who didn't like football knew the names of footballers. I wouldn't recognise that many now.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Jan 2021 08:26

Perhaps you read daily newspapers from front to back as I did, Ann?

It may have helped that my Dad and one of my brothers were football mad! :-D

You're right about non-recognition of current footballers, though. I think it is because I began to stop reading sports pages and only began to simply scan them as time went on and I grew older.