General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just having a moan.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Dec 2020 11:18

I am on my heritage and it keeps coming up with DNA matches but I don’t understand how they do that when I can’t even find name matches.
Ok moan over, thank you for reading this.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 28 Dec 2020 11:41

:-S :-S :-S :-S

it's your DNA that links not names. The people are your relatives because you share DNA from the same relative(s), it's up to you to find out which, if it's possible, as paper trails are not always the truth but DNA is.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 28 Dec 2020 14:01

I have found a lot of the trees on the DNA sites are incomplete so there is no name to match. And of course you only need 1 person to be missing off a tree, they might be your DNA match.

And there's a lady who is one of my closest matches but we can't find the link going back several generations. Then she found out that the man she had always thought was her father wasn't biological, a great shock to her.
I suspect that he might be our 'missing link'.

One of OH's closest matches, has a matching surname. When I contacted her, she said they'd never heard of OH's ggrandma, so there couldn't possibly be a link.......
However, I was able to trace her back to that family and establish a tree link. I did message her with the findings, but she didn't reply, obviously doesn't want to know.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 28 Dec 2020 14:50

My mum was born illegitimately in the 1920s so not many people know of her existence and because of that I check to make sure there is a connection, on one such occasion I knew beyond a shadow of doubt that this chap was related to me but he didn’t want to know because of my mums birth circumstances, all this before DNA.

Annx

Annx Report 28 Dec 2020 15:24

I've done that a few times Grannyfranny and traced missing people on other people's trees to find the match! It's usually a wife that's not been traced that is a match.