General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flights permitted?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 Dec 2020 16:01

I have just been on flightradar 24 and it shows loads of planes flying all over uk and abroad.
Am i being a little thick here but i thought you couldnt fly between scotland and England yet an Easyjet flight from Bristol to Inverness is on route and many others.
Also flight to USA from London!

Scotland is in Tier 4

Florence in the hebrides :-S

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Dec 2020 16:24

The control of Scottish air space has not been devolved to Edinburgh. It remains a reserved matter though Edinburgh is pushing for some measure of control especially re environment. Dream on.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 27 Dec 2020 16:25

My son is hoping to get home from Mozambique at some point <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Dec 2020 16:42

My niece went back to Dubai on Christmas Eve :-(
She was due to stay until January, but once Saudi closes it's borders, Dubai is likely to do so, as well.
However, she had to have a test this end, and again, when she arrived.
Even if (as it proved) it was negative the other end, she had to self-isolate for a week.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 27 Dec 2020 16:44

People are flying in here but are being taken to isolation hotels for 7 days, 1 test before flying, 1 when they get here and a negative test to get out of isolation.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 Dec 2020 21:35

But if we are not permitted to travel by train or car over the border to England,then how is it I could fly south???

Florence in the hebrides

Allan

Allan Report 27 Dec 2020 22:22

Florence, arrivals by air are easier to monitor. Travelling by train, a passenger could disembark anywhere and then catch another train to who knows where.

Similarly, with a car, who knows what roads it is going to use nor how many stops it would make.

Some Australian States have the same Rule...you can only enter via air

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 Dec 2020 23:43

Yes I know that Allan, but here the whole of Scotland is in tier 4 and travel except for certain circumstances is not permitted out of your area. (not between council areas within Scotland)Extra police patrols are on duty in the borders stopping anyone they choose to ask the reason for them travelling. Although there are no actual road blocks, but if you get stopped trying to cross the border without a good reason, them you will get fined.

i cant imagine that very many people from Bristol will have a good enough reason to come to Inverness as most business meetings happen on Zoom etc thesedays.

Coming to visit family for new year is not permitted at all.

Im just a bit perplexed by the amount of planes , when travel by road or other methods is restricted if you are in Tier 4!

Florence in the hebrides

Kense

Kense Report 28 Dec 2020 08:55

Many of the flights you see will be cargo flights, also many will be overflying from other countries.

I see that Easyjet fly between Bristol and Inverness so presumably there is a high enough demand for that service for legitimate travellers. Bear in mind that those passengers will not necessarily start or finish their journey in either city.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 28 Dec 2020 11:03

Cargo flights HA, thats how people got in from South Africa and brought a new type of Covid 19 in.

All flights should be stopped until well after the covid 19 has been gone at least 3 months.

And the swine in charge of the country is not using his head as usual.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 Dec 2020 18:12

Yes Sue,I absolutely agree about stopping the planes.As for Bristol to Inverness,the plane stops and turns around, doesn't go anywhere else.Personally don't think it is necessary or Glasgow to London as that is Tier 4 too!!
Our flights to Glasgow have been reduced to just 2 a day and it's only for hospital appointments or some other essential travel like a funeral.

Judging by the crowds at the boxing day sales,it's no wonder the virus is out of control.Whats wrong with some people?Sales???,stay at home and stay safe...
Florence in the Hebrides

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Dec 2020 20:46

Although there are dedicated air freight jets - eg converted 747s - most of the time air freight is carried on passenger flights. For the UK air freight amounts to about 25% by value of exports to destinations beyond the EU. Closing this down is a hare brained non-starter. Just because a passenger flight takes place landing/taking off in Scotland does not necc. mean that it carried passengers, it could easily be freight only.

Other than that as has been posted there are many flights which simply traverse UK air space without landing.

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 Dec 2020 21:19

The problem is if you're like us, we were told only essential flights were allowed...fair enough...but we're now finding out there's been regular passenger flights pretty much ongoing and all they've had to do is promise to isolate for 2 weeks rarely is anyone checked to ensure they have complied. Coming home for Christmas whilst nice is not essential.

BrianW

BrianW Report 1 Jan 2021 10:09

Flightradar is only showing around 5,400 aircraft worlwide currently which is half that on a "normal" business day.
Come Sunday (end of holidays) or Monday (business re-opens) and it will be back up again.