General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

VACCINES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 23 Dec 2020 22:27

Please tell me if I’m wrong but I don’t think my memory is that bad yet but at the very beginning of this pandemic the government said that when a vaccine came on the market NHS workers would be one of the first to get because they are on the front line I know the elderly are important but so are our nurses doctors and midwifes

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Dec 2020 23:04

It does seem that admin and management in hospital have received it first! :-|

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Dec 2020 23:26

In our area three of my friends over 80 with health issues have had it already - two on Saturday and one on Monday. None is in a care home, by the way.

I'd be surprised if my neighbour (a Sister in Critical Care Ward) hadn't had it so if I see her, I shall ask her. I would have expected my niece to have had it by now too.

Island

Island Report 23 Dec 2020 23:32

Our local surgery has been busy vaccinating today, as far as I gather it is elderly - not care home residents.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Dec 2020 05:54

yes our local surgery is busy as well. I have not had it yet, or been called with an appointment. I think in Gloucester hospital NHS staff were being vaccinated because Prince Charles and Camilla were there to see them.

(No they were not being vaccinated because they were there to see them, not going to re-word that now :-))

Linda

Linda Report 24 Dec 2020 11:39

My daughter is a community midwife so going into peoples homes but has not been offered this is partly why I think they should be one of the first after all they are working so hard often not seeing families in case they give them the virus careworkers want to look after the elderly and the NHS not getting a pay rise

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 24 Dec 2020 12:21

We haven’t a clue what is going on with vaccines in this area. There is a complete lack of information. I don’t know if front line staff are getting the jab but no-one over 80 round here (including OH) have been offered an appointment.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Dec 2020 12:37

One of the GP practices in the county have been refusing to take part as it would mean closing the surgery to ordinary patients. I believe they may be having a rethink.

My friend with mild dementia thinks she has an appointment for the 14th Jan. I hope she is right and remembers how to find the partner surgery that will do it.

I can’t take her as I have my own bubbles and she gets offended if you help to much.
My own surgery has already been doing the jabs, but I am not old enough ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Dec 2020 12:47

Not giving it at our doctors' surgeries where we are but at the University Health Centre.

The other pal went into a central clinic in the nearby town so not at his doc's either.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 24 Dec 2020 12:59

My BIL has had his first vaccination, he is early 80s and no health issues. He lives in the same district as us and I've had text updates from our surgery, saying we'll be informed as and when. My OH will be ahead of me as he's over 70. Mum has just gone into a local care home, but not heard whether the staff (or any residents) there have been vaccinated.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 24 Dec 2020 14:42

Just heard from my 18 year old granddaughter in Yorkshire. She is spending a gap year working in a care home for people with dementia and she has been offered the vaccine and has filled in the relevant forms. Just waiting now to be told when and where.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Dec 2020 14:52

Here all NHS staff administering the vaccine have been done and they are now working through the rest of the NHS and also elderly care home residents.

Our GP says they will probably get round to healthy 80 year-olds (like me and OH) in the middle of January. Part of the delay is caused by the number of care home residents and staff to be done and part by a shortage of vaccines.

There is no lack of information about what's going on though.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Dec 2020 14:58

This is fun to do ;-)

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk