General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am falling apart at the seams !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Dec 2020 12:24

I thought I needed new lenses as I was having trouble reading from a distance

I wear varifocals too

About 4 weeks ago .after not having driven for a couple of weeks ,I had a dental appointment and on driving up the road i thought that’s odd the traffic calming humps have a hew below them . Driving further too it was a bit odd

I had an eye test arranged anyway for the following week and mentioned it to the optician

He did some tests and then said no it’s your right eye that seems to have the start of macular degeneration.He referred me to hospital

Very quickly I was given an appointment for yesterday and my granddaughter took me as they said you won’t be able to drive later because of drops etc

Was wary about going to hospital but then didn’t want to defer
Must say Maidstone hospital was very very well organised with hand sanitising .temperature taken .masks in all the time .
Keep left on all corridors
Social distancing in the waiting areas in designated seating pods etc

Covid treatment wards and areas in a totally different part of the hospital with no access to unauthorised persons
Made me feel safe

Soooo it’s been confirmed I do have dry macular degeneration in that eye
Told it’s just age related wear and tear

Assured though that still ok to drive as my vision is well above the level needed

Seems it’s the bright light that affects it more so when I asked would it be better to drive in my prescription sunglasses was told whatever you feel most comfortable in

Told too it’s very early stage and being the dry type doesn’t need any treatment and I will adjust to it being the norm

It’s actually ok indoors ,

Seems it’s distance only in bright light where I notice it but it’s not a danger to me driving

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Dec 2020 12:36

good job you had an eye test already booked and could get a hospital appointment too to put your mind at rest Shirley.