General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WI-FI wireless mouse problem.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 27 May 2020 10:07

I've a problem I'd appreciate help with.
Thank you in anticipation of a solution.
I use my wireless mouse frequently to cut, copy and paste
text, photos, images in general. My mouse ceased being able to
copy and paste photos and cartoons etc many weeks ago. Why I don't know, hence this thread. I've tried the trouble shooter without success, Ive restarted the PC so many times, without success. I even bought a new keyboard and mouse. The problem persists. I'm using Win 10 which I upgraded from Win 7. All the copied and pasted cartoons from Facebook have been deleted, coincidentally.
Why will my mouse no longer copy and paste photos and cartoons.?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 May 2020 10:44

David. Does your mouse function with the computer for everyday use? Because if its working normally in every other way, then the problem surely is with FB. Maybe it just wont allow you to copy and paste anymore?

Have you tried say finding an image on the net of whatever, say an animal, open documents to a blank page and then see if you can copy & paste it. If you can then the problem is with FB.
Are you taking these pics etc from someoenelses FB? I know my ex always put his name through his photos so others couldn't steal his pics, copyright etc.

Have a go at what I suggested and see what happens.
Good luck
Florence in the hebrides

David

David Report 27 May 2020 12:19

The cartoons I refer to I uplifted (copied) from Facebook and pasted on a thread of
mine on Belfast Forum. I was successful at this for quite some time, until the ability to copy and paste ceased and the ones I'd copied vanished from BF. I've had no explanation or censure from FB or any one else. I'm a tad annoyed because my mouse is unable to copy images, photos, and I can't work out why. As said the mouse will copy and paste text Florence. Could FB limit the functions on my mouse ? :-S

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 May 2020 12:23

Ok but can you copy and paste images from the net onto a blank document?
Try this to see if only to eliminate whether its just one site eg..Fb or any other website.

Florence in the hebrides

BrianW

BrianW Report 27 May 2020 12:29

I believe there is a glitch with windows 10 in that it will not print from photos so your problem may be related.

If I receive an attachment in an email it will print using "Quick print" shortcut but not if I open the item and try to print from that.

Try googling for a fix.

David

David Report 27 May 2020 12:51

Florence, I cannot copy images from any where to any where. Yet I'd been able to with ease prior to FB intervention. I've tried various You Tube site's instruction with out success. I never knew a third party had the ability to limit my usage.

BrianW if you are correct MS ought to correct it in its updates ?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 May 2020 15:12

David is your problem with the highlighting and copying proceass. If you are able to still highlight something have you tried pressing CTR and C at the same time to copy and then Ctr and V to paste? I did have a problem with my Wifi mouse in that it seemed not to want to copy and I am able to do it this way.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 May 2020 16:03

BrianW...I have windows 10.If I receive a photo in an attachment on a email, then I download the photo and save to my pictures.
Then go to my pictures, click on photo and you can print from there. Ive never had a problem printing out attachments, but then as I said I download, save and then print.

Florence in the hebrides

David

David Report 27 May 2020 17:57

Ann, I've never been good with the key board combinations, although I can increase text size and switch my desk top PC off with the appropriate button on the keyboard.
I've just done a clean reinstall, see if that helps

(I wouldn't think FB had permission to delete things which had successfully been copied and pasted, but I notice a lot of Tiny Pics are being deleted)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 May 2020 21:00

FB probably has every right to stop you, as anything posted on FB, whether text, photos, or anything else, then becomes THEIR property and can be used as they wish. That applies even to the very private sites.

It's been that way for some time.

It's why I don't often post on there, really only on my daughter's page and 2 other private sites, and have not posted photos for a very long time.

Allan

Allan Report 27 May 2020 21:52

David, I suspect that it is DB where the problem lies.

I'm on three Forums relating to areas of Manchester where I used to live. I've tried unsuccessfully to download some photos that were of interest to me, yet on another forum relating to where I now live there has been no problem.

Perhaps the moderators of the various forums use different security settings.

My laptop is running Widows 10 and I use a wi-fi mouse

David

David Report 28 May 2020 12:34

There is nothing wrong with my desktop PC, I agree. The problem is with the
wireless optical mouse.
FB permitted my copying and pasting many cartoons before blocking that harmless pursuit and removing them from where I had pasted them Belfast Forum. I can't understand why it should permit then deny, without explanation. and the mouse now unable to pick up and paste images from anywhere.

I've asked MS for help but they seen unable to understand the problem (like me) and simply say ask the community. If MS 10 has a gliche on this subject I'd have thought they would have quickly corrected it in their updates.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 28 May 2020 15:52

David, if its the mouse then buy one u can plug in and see if that changes anything.

Florence in the hebrides

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 May 2020 17:56

David ................

FB is continuously changing!!

What you could do last year or last month, you might not be able to do this week.

Remember, governments and companies are suing FB and other social platforms re privacy concerns.

If someone owns the copyright to a picture, they can prevent anyone from copying, and FB own the copyright to ALL photos and content on their platform.

Before going to the expense of buying another mouse, check with other sites that you use to see if can copy and paste from one to another.

If you can, then there is nothing wrong with your mouse, and you'll just have to accept that you can n longer do it the way you have been from FB.

You just might have to learn to use CTRL+C and CTRL+V ....... it really is easy to use!

You should also note that FB is changing once again.

For the last week or 10 days, I have had a yellow banner running across the top of my screen when on FB that says ...............

"The new Facebook.com is coming to this browser soon"

Some people already have that "new" version ........ I believe it was AnninGlos who first put up a thread about it.

Could you also have the new version?????

David

David Report 29 May 2020 08:16

The giants such as Microsoft, Google, Facebook own us
in a manner of speaking.. While attempting to find a cure for the mouse problem I
sought help on I've sound out put on my PC for no reason.
It's went from 100% usability to zero for no reason !! :-S

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 29 May 2020 11:18

Do you mean "no sound" ?
The loss of sound was a major annoyance of the 1809 update.
Sometimes it can be fixed other times it requires reinstallation or recovery install of Windows 10.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-after-win-10-1809-update/2453bc65-507a-461e-9c99-ab4930e3f0bb

"if it ain't broke don't try and fix it"

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 May 2020 17:18

1809 Rollo????? :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 29 May 2020 17:50

yes, the current fall 2019 update is 1909 which you should have installed.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 30 May 2020 10:18

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52758787

This is mentioned in the latest "Lost Cousins" Newsletter.,has anyone seen it?

David

David Report 31 May 2020 12:50

I am happy to report my problem on the sound and vision is solved :-)
Another fresh start reinstall of Win 10 and upgrade of Win Edge dis it.

Thank you for your assistance :-)