General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what if 2+2 = 28

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 May 2020 12:42

(link updated)

'I’m a huge fan of sci-fi and stories that begin “What if?” But did we have to run all of this, all at once? And did we have to make our experiments in thinking involve non-theoretical, living (at the moment) and (currently) breathing human beings? I may be a caffeine-addled hermit swaddled in army surplus lockdown athleisurewear and have a drunk marmoset’s haircut. ... Still, even in my degraded and manifestly twitchy condition I can still count: one sheet of toilet paper, two sheets of toilet paper, far too much toilet paper... See? I can studfracking count. And by my reckoning we are currently running at least 10 experiments of the kind that give thinking a bad name.'

https://tinyurl.com/y9jjlgvd

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 May 2020 12:59

AL Kennedy - The Guardian.
His book: We are attempting to survive our time

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 May 2020 13:25

Thank you, namelessone.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 May 2020 13:50

Never mind The Guardian, he should read what Mary Wakefield wrote in The Spectator ... with no mention of how it's OK to break lockdown rules if you consider yourselves to be not one of the 'great unwashed'. Very tongue-in-cheek methinks.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 24 May 2020 14:47

Well Mary Wakefield's support (is she serious?) of Cummings has no humour nor does it deal with the larger question of democratic legitimacy. It ignores the bald fact that tens of thousands of people have been in the same boat. fwiw that includes members of my close family wo would have found the freedom to sift backwarsd and forwards between northern cities and the Thames Valley very handy.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 May 2020 18:29

Precisely, Rollo.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 24 May 2020 18:37

Roll on Thursday for us in Scotland.