General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 20 May 2020 12:35

I am thinking of exporting my tree by Gedcom to be able to send to my family but am confused.
It says when you export your tree via Gedcom your photos will be lost.
So if I export it and import it back afterwards what will I be left with?
Would it be only the tree or the details that are shown when you press on the arrows on the right hand side as I add notes there?
Can someone tell me if I will loose anything please?
Chrissie

Kense

Kense Report 20 May 2020 12:50

Nothing will be lost as long as you don't import the Gedcom.

Your family will need a program to be able to view the Gedcom as a tree.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 21 May 2020 17:36

.ged is a data file, so any images that you have loaded (jpg, tif, pdf, or whatever else) cannot be exported as part of the file. But anything that you have typed into an individuals Extras/note box will be in the .ged.

I call out a .ged whenever I add a few records in case anything untoward happens to the GR software. If I upload the file to Ancestry the notes are there, so likely that they would also be available on other programs.