General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gardening grandson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 14 May 2020 18:38

As my grandson is also my gardener, can he come round to do the garden but not for a visit. (Socially distanced in the garden of course)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 May 2020 19:29

Yes,,just stay indoors ,,,,,don't give drinks or food. ,iif any money is exchanged leave outside.treat him as a gardener not a grandson,,,,but its all too tempting to keep family ties under wraps when its in your face so to speak.

can it wait a bit longer.

If you wish to meet one relative and you are not on the list not to do so ,,,do it away from your home,,,,,,,in an open area keeping to the given space advise or wider,,,,,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2020 20:59

I had my painter come in and paint the pergola and fence

Both were replaced about three years ago but haven’t been treated since

They needed a sadolin paint to preserve them

We kept a distance and only spoke briefly

My thought was the man of the house could do it so what was the difference as long as we didn’t make physical contact

He is a young man who has his own business so time is money and no work no income

He usually does outside work in the summer and inside in the winter months and is a good worker

Soo he came in two days running and the fence and pergola are now looking good

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2020 21:18

I did a bank transfer to pay him ,
He messaged me with his bank details

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 14 May 2020 21:57

Shirley .......... I think the difference is that he was not a relation of yours.

As I understand it, Bob could have a gardener who was no relation come and do his garden.

But does his grandson fall into that same category?

I would say that if Bob usually pays his son as much as he would pay a non-relation, and that the grandson is usually treated as a non-relation, ie not invited into the house for food/drink/chat, then it might well be acceptable.

But if he is usually treated as a grandson, who is doing the gardening for his grandfather, who is not usually paid the going rate, and is usually treated as a relation .......... then it could be very iffy!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 May 2020 22:17

Yeesss - instructions from the Government as clear as mud! :-| :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 May 2020 08:37

Bob, I have messaged you about your dilemma - do you think this is the time that the common sense, spoken about by Boris, ought to kick in! Your common sense will be just as good as everyone else's. ;-) :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 15 May 2020 11:29

This question was on a programme the other day.

And according to the answer the presenters gave. it was

NO.
As they are related to you.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 May 2020 12:17

Employ a professional gardener then Bob. Do you know one? ;-) :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 15 May 2020 12:18

First of all, JoyLouise, I have replied to your PM. Regarding the grandson, he is a professional gardener and as we have a large garden and I am "getting on a bit" he comes and does the heavy work. He doesn't come into the house as we have a side gate and we stay well distanced. Our elder son and his wife live round the corner and do most of our shopping, so we also see them. We haven't seen our other son and family, or our daughter (who has had the virus) since this all started, as they live a hundred miles away.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 May 2020 12:21

I read your reply Bob, hence my comment about a professional gardener. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 May 2020 18:46

My sister had a patio laid in her back garden in March.
The workmen came in the back gate, and they spoke to my sister from 6ft (and more) away, or she leaned out of an upstairs window to give directions on how she wanted it done :-D

The hilarous thing is, my sister has a nasty neighbour. (NN) He's nasty to the whole neighbourhood, unfortunately, my sister lives next door to him.

She, and my late brother in law built a summerhouse in the garden - the neighbour reported her for building a B&B.
He than put up a camera that took in her garden and her other neighbour's garden - nasty neighbour wasn't happy when he had to remove it.

Sister had a bedroom put in her loft last year - NN tried to look in one night - which terrified my sister.
He then complained about the roof, joints, ladders, anything, and shouted at the builders.
The roofer got fed up, and had a 'word' with NN - he told him my sister was his aunt!!
Now NN is trying to sue my sister - well it's more extortion - for work he's (that's NN himself) has done in his own attic - saying sister's builders did it :-S

Anyway, it was the roofer who did the patio, and he constantly called my sister 'auntie'. NN reported my sister.
Unfortunately for NN, as he's complained about everyone so often, the police ignored him.
The local policeman informed my sister of his complaint on passing her house one day. Sister explained about the 'cheeky' roofer - the policeman's comment?
"Nice one"! :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 May 2020 21:16

Good one!!!

Is there not a process in law by which a constant nonsense complainer can be prosecuted by the police and have to go to court??

There is here!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 May 2020 22:03

He's sent her letters saying 'X' and 'Y' needed repairing due to her builders, which will cost £XXX to repair, and there will be future charges!
Sister has contacted the building firm, who have told him to send details to them - but he hasn't. She's also offered to get a building inspector around to assess the 'damage' - so far he hasn't agreed.
He's so thick, he doesn't realise this just confirms his extortion!

Sister has contacted a lawyer, they're all (including sister) waiting for his next move!
Fortunately, the builders and lawyer have put my sister's mind to rest.

His false complaints have resulted in one neighbour spending a day in the police station.
He recently reported a man up the road, who was trimming a branch off a tree in his own garden.

Allan

Allan Report 15 May 2020 22:09

Same in Oz where such complaints are known as 'frivolous or vexatious complaints'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frivolous_or_vexatious

Several of WA's main laws are specific in relation to these type of complaints