General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Access To My Family Tree As A Guest

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 14 May 2020 14:59

Hello
Is it possible to allow someone access to your family tree on Genes Reunited who are not members? I know this is possible on Ancestry.
Thank you

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 May 2020 15:16

no
You could export it as a .GED file and then e-mail the file.

Christine

Christine Report 14 May 2020 17:06

Thank you
Not very technical, would they be able to read it or does it need to be opened in a particular way i.e. would they have to download it into another family history search engine?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 May 2020 18:56

The simplest way would prob be for them to open a basic GenesRU account ( they are free ) and import the .GED file. The recipients will then be able to read the tree no problem.

btw only the tree itself is contained in the .ged file , notes, graphics etc are omitted.

Christine

Christine Report 15 May 2020 09:52

Thank you everyone