General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's Fair To Say

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 14 May 2020 09:27

That Mr Owl is bored and unfortunately for me this has lead to the destruction of my home.

Mr Owl is a qualified architectural technologist and building surveyor however from the age of 6 his (step) dad would take him to work and Mr Owls (step) dad was a joiner by trade.

I now have 26 sheets of plasterboard at 24kg a sheet and new skirting and facing behind my sofa. No skirting boards after Mr Owl took them off with a hammer, chisel and saw and no shelves in my living room after they also got removed by hammer and chisel. I also have a steamer in my living room to remove stubborn wallpaper from my ceiling before plaster is applied.

When will it end??? Is anyone else having a DIY nightmare?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 May 2020 09:58

I'm doing my own - using old (but still useable) paint in the cupboard. :-D
I call it my 'Corona' decoration :-D
I've nearly finished - Have totally redecorated the kitchen and living room (bedrooms were done last year).
I have the stairwell to do, but I'm not sure I have enough paint - also, using a stepladder causes bruising on my shins (I think I try to 'hold' the steps with my shin bone), so am taking a 'rest' and am now attacking my dolls houses :-D :-D :-D

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 14 May 2020 10:36

Himself here has painted the bathroom ceiling which did need doing but we don't have enough paint to do the cupboard doors . He emptied his shed and then put it all back but on different shelves. He has been in the loft and found some tools up there that he had decided someone had stolen coz he couldn't find them in his shed. :-S :-D . Everyday he goes into the garden to see if the veg is still growing . Yes he is bored.!!

At least it sounds like Mr Owl knows what he is doing.

Maggie enjoy your 'rest'

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 May 2020 12:26

So Maggie is attacking her dolls houses. Shame. Is she using a dollhouse size axe? ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 May 2020 13:04

Actually, I'm attempting to repair the many tiny paned window frames from a shop that George attempted to jump on - and missed! :-|
I've been working on it for a while, the tiny bits of wood don't want to stick.

As for the axe - I do have one house I let the very young grandchildren play with - it's known as the 'squat'.
It looks like someone's ripped half the roof tiles off, and is full of broken furniture, doors and ripped wallpaper.
My brother suggested I enter it for the Turner Prize :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 May 2020 13:13

Hi Maggie

Certainly sounds like someone attacked it :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 May 2020 14:23

Let's just say, they played with it enthusiastically! :-D

It has /had furniture I didn't like, so if it broke, I didn't mind, never passed comment, and they learnt how every action has a consequence, and therefore, to improve their hand/eye co-ordination!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 May 2020 14:40

:-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2020 14:51

I haven’t a OH but I have had my painter in to paint the gazebo and fence in the back garden

I had both replaced about three years ago with tanelised wood but too much rain and drying out has caused some pergola struts to split

My painter only worked in the garden and we did the keep our distance on the few occasions we spoke

The lad is self employed so isn’t earning unless he gets jobs
I was perfectly ok with him doing the job for me