General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cue a Phone Call

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 13 May 2020 22:24

From the bank fraud department. I went into Sainsburys today and this is a supermarket I use regularly as it's only 400 yards from my door. My card wouldn't work using my PIN number even though I had money in my account. The sales assistant rather than allow me to try another card decided to try my card contactlessly which I have never done. It worked but cue a phone call from the banks fraud department :-(

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 May 2020 22:49

I have had the contactless bit taken from card for that very reason, it is to easy for someone else to use the card that way.

Tawny

Tawny Report 13 May 2020 22:53

Once this is over I’m thinking about it too. This time it was a checkout assistant but who could it be next time.

Barbra

Barbra Report 13 May 2020 23:04

This has happened to me my bank send a security no I have to use each time with my card so much fraud about can't be to careful. hope it's soon sorted for you Stay safe Barbara .

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 May 2020 23:19

I had the contactless element on both my debit and credit card removed.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 May 2020 01:43

I think others have a different understanding from me of what you wrote, Tawny, so I'm not sure I read your comments the way in which you meant them.

The way I understand your post is that someone from the bank contacted you because your card had been swiped for the first time ever? If you did mean that, then good for them, they seem to be on the ball. It's likely that this different payment method, one you've never used before, sparked an alert.

While the current crisis is ongoing, contactless payments are safer than tapping in a number - too many fingers carrying who knows what! Until isolation, when I was out and about, I always tapped when I could do so. I shall continue to tap when I get out again.

What really surprised and shocked me about your post was that the sales assistant decided to try your card contactlessly - which I took to mean she took your card and tapped it herself - at a time when everyone is supposed to be avoiding social contact. Not the thing to do at present.

I bet that made you take a big step back! :-0

It's the most common thing we're likely to find when everything gets back to what is going to the new normal - people will react spontaneously and occasionally they may forget about social distancing.

Tawny

Tawny Report 14 May 2020 03:06

Your right she tried my card for herself. It seems common here at the moment though all customers please adhere to social distancing but if you work here it doesn’t matter.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 May 2020 08:14

Tapping your car (contactless) is the safest way to pay for anything at the moment but perhaps the sales assistant ought to have more training in how to stay safe during the crisis as well as how to be more patient.

I have used contactless ever since it started - I am happy to tap.

I know of no one who has lost anything this way but a couple of my friends still prefer to punch in numbers (we are of the older generation, Tawny).

I also know a couple of people who work in banks (relatives) and they tap their cards. I rely on one, in particular, to keep me up-to-date and stop me from being a 'dinosaur', as she put it. As if I would dare to be when she's around! She has even managed to update my OH - and that's no easy feat. :-D ;-)

I hope you and yours stay safe, Tawny. :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 May 2020 08:28

Even in normal times, assistants have always asked me to deal with my card, if there is any problem. They have told me that they are not allowed to touch my card, so I was surprised to read that the assistant had used the contactless facility.

I haven't been in a shop since March, but when I do start shopping again, I will continue to use the contactless facility.