General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

warships

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 May 2020 12:24

I don't know at what time but I have just seen that RN warships will sound sirens for VE day. so if you hear a lot of noise if you live in the area you will know what it is.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 May 2020 12:41

I think it is 3 pm.
Sadly we no longer live on the coast.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 May 2020 14:25

My friend lives in Marchwood - opposite Southampton Docks.
Every Thursday, the cargo ships in port (most of them 'stuck' there), hoot for the NHS.
I shall find out, tonight if they hooted for VE day :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 May 2020 15:10

And I assume the ones stuck in Weymouth bay?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 8 May 2020 15:30

We live on the Clyde and the noise was incredible. It seemed to go on for ever!! :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 May 2020 04:34

I do hope the ships in the harbour and bay here do not join in hoot for medical people, or in any harbour in Canada ..............

The Canadian salute is EVERY day at 7pm, with people clapping, banging saucepans or other metal objects, playing musical instruments, ringing the church bells, etc

Out immediate area is very quiet, people must be afraid of destroying the peace for the children around, but we only need to go 3 or 4 blocks to be in the midst.