General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Stars Must Have Aligned

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 27 Apr 2020 22:19

I suppose that this follows on from Tawny's thread regarding the 'correct' way to prepare scones for consumption.

Last Saturday we had a visit from our daughter who gave us a litre tub of double cream which she had 'liberated' from her place of employment, and the conversation turned to how we could consume such a quantity.

OH suggested a trifle, but daughter thought not as she said that the cream was too thick for that (we hadn't seen the actual cream at that stage-

Thinking back to Tawny's thread I suggested scones

Daughter and OH thought that that was a good idea and daughter asked if I had ever made 'three ingredient' scones, using only SR flour, thickened cream and lemonade.

I said that I had never made scones before with any type or number of scones.

However, the seed had been planted.

Yesterday it germinated. After a bit of research I decided that we had all the ingredients although the cream would require thinning down to the correct consistency.

So, with trepidation I made my first ever batch of scones.

Foe a first attempt they were quite successful and went down very nicely with jam and cream.

I even carried my experimentation a stage further and tried jam on cream and cream on jam.

I am pleased to report that there was absolutely no difference in either texture or flavour. ;-)

:-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Apr 2020 23:25

Not so very different from that beer bread I mentioned.

That is a three unexpected ingredient job as well.

Allan

Allan Report 27 Apr 2020 23:56

I did try making beer bread once, Sharron, but it was a total disaster.

On the same site where I found the recipe for the scones was another for a three ingredient fruit cake which used dried mixed fruit, chocolate mild and SR flour.

Apparently you soak the fruit overnight in the milk, add it to the flour and bake :-S

I may give that a try once supplies are back to normal in the shops :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Apr 2020 01:09

That was a bit Freudian. Chocolate mild? Don't like the sound of that.

Think it must be chocolate milk.

I make dumplings with flour, bit of salt, baking powder and water. Taste just like suet dumplings and it makes a perfectly serviceable roly.

The beer bread is c275g SR flour, 330ml beer but cider works just as well and I believe lemonade will too. The recipe says 3tablespoons of sugar but I only put about a teaspoon in and some salt which the recipe doesn't say. Mix it together and put it in a loaf tin at 160c for about half an hour.

I like it better with cider and put sultanas and peel in but I put sage and onion in one I made with beer last week and it was a bit good, I can tell you. I put a green Oxo and some Marmite in that one.

Might well have a bash at the scones.,

Allan

Allan Report 28 Apr 2020 01:29

Oops! I can't even blame sausage fingers for that spelling mistake.

I don't know about Freudian because when I do drink beer I much prefer bitter.

I might try the beer bread again as it seems that the carbonation in the various liquids is what causes the mixture to rise...it certainly did with the scones.

Here is the link to the site I used.

https://tinyurl.com/y8ogfgwe

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 28 Apr 2020 05:37

Interesting recipes, will have to keep a note of them for o.h. to try when he gets bored

Lizx

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 May 2020 17:06

Oh dear, Allan. I made them but was not ever so impressed, something was lacking, but, nil desperandum (that's foreign you know!), they are in the oven in a sort of bread and butter pudding, buttered scone pudding.

I will let you know how bad I made that taste when we have some.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 May 2020 18:23

Oh, yum,yum!

A bit like gulab jamun.

Allan

Allan Report 14 May 2020 21:52

That's a dish I have never tried. I'm not a big fan of sweets or puddings these days.

I'm glad that the recipe was not a total disaster :-D

To quote another foreign phrase, non carborundum illegitimus ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 May 2020 22:52

Mange tout, mange tout.

Allan

Allan Report 14 May 2020 23:21

:-D :-D :-D