General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

National Archives Free Online Access

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 Apr 2020 12:13

There is an Article in The Times today 'Records To Surrender Family Secrets'

During the 'lockdown' The National Archives are allowing free access to a wealth of their digitalised records which, as The Times article says, is a treasure trove for those researching their Family History.

The Records include Wills placed with the Canterbury Prerogative Court up to 1858, Military Records including WW1 Unit War Diaries & Immigration Records.

Thought this was worth sharing:-)

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 3 Apr 2020 12:14

That is good news Belle.

I got an email from them last night saying the same thing.

Definitely something to keep us occupied. :-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 3 Apr 2020 12:17

Thank You Belle<3

I will check it out

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Apr 2020 12:20

Thank you, LondonBelle. OH is delighted as he has something else to help pass the time! :-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 Apr 2020 12:20

I agree, Maddie.

The Wills are fascinating, even though it states 'Canterbury' don't be misled as some of my Ancestors living in The Midlands had their Wills placed there :-)

Island

Island Report 3 Apr 2020 12:21

oo thanks Belle.
what's the betting it crashes. :-(

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 Apr 2020 12:24

Andysmum, one of my great uncles was killed in WW1 and by looking at his War Unit Diary I found out exactly how he died rather than him just been listed as 'Killed in Action' which was all the Family ever knew<3