General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rupert Bear

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Feb 2020 15:14

His 100th anniversary. did you have the books as a child? I loved them. Bought them for grandsons to read when they were born. They are still in the cupboard unread 30+ years later. :-D :-D

Linda

Linda Report 22 Feb 2020 15:27

Yes ann I had them and loved them as well I got Rupert the toy for my eldest and it was passed down to my to daughters and when they got to big for him I lovenly put him away for any grandchildren I might have along with with other toys but sadly the grandchildren did not look after them and their all gone

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 22 Feb 2020 16:00

I have my late hubbys ** The New Rupert Book ** priced at 4s-9p along with 2 Buffalo Bill annuals and a Superman Annual all given by his big sister. Must be from late 40s to early 50s.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Feb 2020 16:18

I did have one or two Rupert annuals, but they weren't a regular thing.

Ann, I hadn't realised it was a special year for Rupert, so thank you for that.
I will look out for special events in Canterbury, where Mary Tourtel's work is shown in the Heritage Museum.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 22 Feb 2020 16:27

I had a couple and loved them

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Feb 2020 16:31

I suppose when I was the age to have them read to me or to read them, there was not the choice of annuals that they have now. Every christmas I would look eagerly for my Rupert annual. I think he used to be in the Daily Express too.

Annx

Annx Report 22 Feb 2020 18:18

Yes Ann, I had a few Rupert Annuals for Christmas as a child and enjoyed them, particularly the characters and the drawings. I think I still have a Rupert scarf somewhere that someone bought me when I was at work. Like many of my childhood things though, they just seemed to disappear without me noticing!

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 22 Feb 2020 19:50

I loved Rupert Bear and had a few of the annuals. I can’ remember all the characters in them but I remember Bill Badger, Algy Pug and Pong-Ping who I think was a Pekingese Dog.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 22 Feb 2020 20:31

I had all the annuals because my Father was a reader/revisor for the Daily Express. I absolutely loved those books :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Feb 2020 21:37

I had several of the annuals, and also would read the cartoon strip in the paper ........... even when I was older ;-)

Like almost all of my books and toys, they were passed to my nieces ....... my mother saying "you're 12 (13,15), and too old for them, S (then F and A) would enjoy them much more".

I wasn't allowed to disagree more than once :-(