General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tonight I’m An-Update

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 2 Nov 2019 20:48

Angry Owl. I found out today that Gorgie Farm was closing :-| If they can raise £100,000 they might be able to keep it open. Gorgie Farm is a small city farm with goats, sheep, cows, chickens, geese, ducks, pigs, rabbits, tortoises, bearded dragons, iguanas, snakes and guinea pigs. They also have an amazing selection of fruit and vegetables which they sell including rhubarb, parsnips, strawberries, celery, pumpkins and grapes.

They take on students and people with additional needs to help on the farm and in turn give them confidence to feel they can achieve things. It has been an amazing addition to the city for 40 years. The council can waste millions extending the tram line when a truly beneficial city resource faces closure. :-| :-| :-|

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Nov 2019 20:52

That is so sad Tawney all these indispensable wonderful places losing out for lack of funds. Hope somehow a solution can be found.

Tawny

Tawny Report 2 Nov 2019 21:08

My Mum took me and my siblings and now she takes her grandchildren. Gorgie farm has a big place in the hearts of many in Edinburgh.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Nov 2019 21:10

They need to find a rich benefactor. I hope they do

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2019 22:08

That's such a shame :-(

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 2 Nov 2019 22:19

Tawny I'm so sorry to hear this, my oh and I use to take our daughter there many years ago, it's a great day out for the whole family, the teams I think we could do without! :-P

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Nov 2019 04:12

That's sad and makes me feel angry too. Is there no way people can donate to raise the money needed?

Lizxx

Tawny

Tawny Report 3 Nov 2019 10:15

Thank you all. People are donating money so fingers crossed we get there and manage to save the farm.

Barbra

Barbra Report 21 Nov 2019 22:28

Up date the council are helping to raise funds .donation have been paid in looks like it could be saved. It was on News tonight Barbara

Tawny

Tawny Report 22 Nov 2019 08:22

The donations are up to £93,000 of the 100,000 needed and as Barbara said the council will now step in and help. Hopefully it can be saved as a farm.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 23 Nov 2019 12:49

Tawny that's good news, for everyone, hope it is saved.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Nov 2019 23:31

Great news if it can be saved. It's sad when well loved places are forced to close.I

Lizxx

Tawny

Tawny Report 10 Feb 2020 20:59

It has now been confirmed the farm has been saved. It will open at the end of the month as Love Gorgie Farm and entry will remain free after a charity took it over. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Feb 2020 21:05

YAAAAYYY!!!! :-D :-D :-D
Fantastic news, Tawny :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 10 Feb 2020 21:39

Great news x good luck to all involved. :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Feb 2020 21:58

Great news, well done to all.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 11 Feb 2020 01:20

Wow, great news!

Lizx

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 11 Feb 2020 20:32

Great news Tawny :-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 12 Feb 2020 22:56

Nudge

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 14 Feb 2020 15:10

Brilliant news Tawny, so glad it's been saved.