General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh! dear, another ones gone!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 May 2019 11:57

8 inch casserole dish this time...
Vision pot...was ok when I washed it....when missis went to wipe up... there was a star crack across the bottom.....

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 21 May 2019 21:06

You should try Enamel casserole dishes they are brilliant. :-D :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 May 2019 22:44

Le creuset are the only way to go. Some of our well used kitchen kit has been with us over 40 years.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 May 2019 23:20

I have a rectangular Pyrex casserole dish in regular use, which is over 48 years old, which has travelled with us overseas twice and back to UK.
So far it isn't even chipped.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 21 May 2019 23:36

Le Creuset pots are far too heavy when in use.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 May 2019 23:45

I have 2 round Corning blue cornflower casseroles that were wedding presents in 1967, still in regular use, not even chipped (so far!).

I also have 2 Pyrex clear casseroles bought around 1970, still in use.

I had 2 round Corning clear casseroles, both the same size and ideal for our small family .............. the first sign on my advancing arthritis was when my hand gave way as I brought each one out of the cupboard, one week apart, in 1993

Both smashed to little pieces, after over 20 years of use, and I was sent to the Arthritis Clinic for treatment after I'd gone to see the doctor to find out why I just lost grip in my hand.

I've never been able to find that exact size since.

We had a full set of Vision pans and casseroles, but gave them to the Sally Ann Thrift store many years ago, because they were too heavy for me to use when other than empty, plus we were always burning potatoes in them.

The same applies to Le Creuset pans and casseroles ........ far too heavy, even when empty. Plus extremely expensive these days, over here.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 May 2019 00:09

Le Creuset seem to be ideal for arga style cookers, as long you have the strength to lift them. Although we have one oval dish of that make, it lives in the bottom of the cupboard!

Pity about your breakages, Bobtanian. Are they covered by a guarantee or have you lost the receipts?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 May 2019 09:51

no they are well out of guarantee...originally bought because of oh's metal allergies....l Have had a pot replaced under guarantee but this one wasn't a cooking fault.
one "lost" its handle after being dishwashed
you are right there Sylvia, they ARE heavy...but so far they do the job...and it IS difficult to replace those ideal sized pots...

Bob

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 May 2019 14:32

I have several pieces of le Creuset and use them regularly. I also have a couple of Pyrex dishes bought as wedding presents years ago and inherited a couple (one a huge flan dish, that I really like) from Mum.

I don't tend to lose anything to breakages (hope I'm not speaking too soon) but rather items that sprout legs and gravitate to my daughter's house, never to be seen again until she has a clear-out. <3 :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 May 2019 16:15

Yeah Know what you mean! my daughter "borrowed" my food mixer

never saw it again...
when asked , I was told "oops sorry I broke the bowl so we binned it!"