General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

After they were beaten in Cardiff.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 19 Mar 2019 16:53

How to speak Irish.

Whale.... Oil.... Beef.... Hooked

Say it fast :-D :-D :-D :-D :-S

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Mar 2019 06:05

Begorrah! (Gaeilge!)

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Mar 2019 10:27

I prefer 'Wenglish' really! :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Mar 2019 23:20

You need to see this! (Beware - foul language - I think!)

https://footballburp.com/stories/video-northern-irish-ref-colourfully-tells-players-to-calm-down-in-cup-final/

Dermot

Dermot Report 22 Mar 2019 07:05

Many students aim for a neutral accent model – referred to as RP (Received Pronunciation) or BBC English, but the reality is that a lot of native speakers in the South of England (including most of our teachers) tend to switch constantly between RP and an accent closer to ‘estuary’ English. :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Mar 2019 07:45

The problem is, Dermot, if those in he South West spoke in the dialect their grandparents used, many 'interlopers' would find it hard to understand them!
Even I can do genuine 'West Country' that many would find difficult to understand.
For example, If I were to say 'Snozzle', would you know what I meant/to what I was referring?

As for those in the South East well:
Estuary English
noun
(in the UK) a type of accent identified as spreading outwards from London and containing features of both received pronunciation and London speech.

It's (sort of) the way they speak anyway!

Dermot

Dermot Report 22 Mar 2019 08:46

'Devon Dialect' by Ellen Fernau is my current occasional reading material.

Sir Francis Drake who hailed from Devon had to appoint a translator to communicate at the court of Elizabeth I.

That's the fump of the story. :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Mar 2019 22:50

A couple of my Cornish ancestors were MP's - one (not an MP) was even on a boat with Drake.
I can only presume they spoke both Kernewek (Cornish) - which both Bretons and Devonians could understand, and English.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Mar 2019 22:51

'Snozzle', by the way is St Austell.